Definición de suppletion en inglés:
The occurrence of an unrelated form to fill a gap in a conjugation (e.g., went as the past tense of go).
- Lexical words are generally fitted into the flow of language through such mechanisms as affixation, suppletion, stress shift, and vowel change, all of which have morphological and other effects.
- We list the instances of suppletion and give examples of regular inflected items when they are available.
- These patterns of suppletion can be correlated with particular geographical areas, language families, and specific lexemic groups.
- Example sentences
- Most adverbs allow only periphrastic comparison (happily/more happily/most happily), but a few are suppletive: badly/worse/worst; well/better/best.
- In the following the regular as well as the suppletive forms of aorist and future are listed.
- If you wish to test the effects of lemmatization, then replace all inflectional and suppletive variants with their root forms: ‘walk, be,’ etc.
Pronunciación: /səˈplētiv, ˈsəplətiv/adjetivo
Definición de suppletion en:
- Inglés británico e internacional dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan