A small class of myriapod invertebrates that resemble the centipedes. They are small eyeless animals with one pair of legs per segment, typically living in soil and leaf mold.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Two of them, the Symphyla and Pauropoda, consist of tiny arthropods living in leaf litter and soil; both superficially resemble centipedes.
- It is tempting to interpret this structural similarity as evidence of a close evolutionary affinity between Symphyla and Insecta.
- The Pauropoda and Symphyla are both rather obscure groups and relatively little is known about their biology and habits.
symphylan sustantivo& adjetivo
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- ‘It's interesting that, having built up these nice soils, that a whole different set of pest problems come in, like symphylans and vertebrates like gophers and voles,’ says Mike.
- The seeming random changes in patterns of symphylan infestation make field studies very difficult.
- Don't mistake symphylans for the larger centipedes, which are often beneficial predators.
Modern Latin (plural), from sym- 'together' + Greek phulē, phulon 'tribe'.
For editors and proofreaders
División en sílabas: Sym·phy·la
Definición de Symphyla en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda