A chronic bacterial disease that is contracted chiefly by infection during sexual intercourse, but also congenitally by infection of a developing fetus.
- This is caused by the spirochete Treponema pallidum. The infection progresses in four successive stages: primary syphilis, characterized by a chancre in the part infected; secondary syphilis, affecting chiefly the skin, lymph nodes, and mucous membranes; tertiary syphilis, involving the spread of tumorlike lesions (gummas) throughout the body, frequently damaging the cardiovascular and central nervous systems; quaternary syphilis neurosyphilis.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Screening tests for herpes simplex virus and syphilis were negative.
- Other less common but serious infections are also checked for, including HIV, syphilis and hepatitis B.
- We did not identify any new cases of HIV infection or syphilis.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- Other sites include stasis ulcers, decubitus ulcers, granuloma inguinale, syphilitic lesions, and smallpox vaccination scars.
- It was used as a device to cover syphilitic pustules and gonorrhoeal warts in the genital area.
- Syphilis is passed from person to person by direct contact with a syphilitic ulcer.
For editors and proofreaders
División en sílabas: syph·i·lis
Definición de syphilis en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda