- Any of a group of hereditary hemolytic diseases caused by faulty hemoglobin synthesis, widespread in Mediterranean, African, and Asian countries.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The blood dyscrasias that most commonly lead to leg ulceration are sickle cell disease, thalassaemia, thrombocythaemia, and polycythaemia rubra vera.
- Bone marrow transplantation may be considered in some cases of sickle cell anemia, thalassemia, and aplastic anemia.
- In recent years, sickle cell disease and thalassaemia, both conditions largely confined to ethnic minorities, have gained increasing recognition by the white dominated health services in the United Kingdom.
1930s: from Greek thalassa 'sea' (because the diseases were first known around the Mediterranean) + -emia.
Más definiciones de thalassemiaDefinición de thalassemia en:
- el diccionario Inglés británico e internacional