- 1In a thankful manner: she thankfully accepted the armchair she was offeredMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Ever the gentleman he offered her an arm for support and she accepted thankfully.
- The robberies took place during a funeral and any information will be thankfully accepted.
- 1.1 [sentence adverb] Used to express pleasure or relief at the situation or outcome that one is reporting; fortunately: thankfully, everything went smoothlyMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The instruments had cost Benedict a fortune, but thankfully he was already a millionaire.
- Cake forks and serviettes were provided, thankfully not placed under the buttered teacake!
- It is so easy for it to happen, as we have seen here, but thankfully this case ended happily.
Thankfully has been used for centuries to mean ‘in a thankful manner,’ as in she accepted the offer thankfully . Since the 1960s, it has also been used as a sentence adverb to mean ‘fortunately,’ as in thankfully, we didn’t have to wait . Although this use has not attracted the same amount of attention as hopefully, it has been criticized for the same reasons. It is, however, far more common now than is the traditional use. For further explanation, see hopefully (usage) and sentence adverb.
Más definiciones de thankfullyDefinición de thankfully en:
- el diccionario Inglés británico e internacional