- An ancient Greek or Roman war galley with three banks of oars.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Successive displays chronicle the Greek trireme, perhaps the ultimate statement of rowing power, the Venetian gondola, the Thames wherry, wooden-hulled lifeboats and arctic whaleboats.
- The captain of the trireme, the trierarch, was not a specialist, but a wealthy citizen who had volunteered or been appointed to take up this prestigious position.
- The best-known type of Greek galley was the TRIREME, with three banks of oars; a famous trireme battle took place between the Greek and Persian fleets at SALAMIS in 480 BC.
from Latin triremis, from tri- 'three' + remus 'oar'.
Más definiciones de triremeDefinición de trireme en:
- el diccionario Inglés británico e internacional