Definición de twiddle en inglés:
sustantivoVolver al principio
mid 16th century (in the sense 'trifle'): apparently imitative, combining the notion twirl or twist with that of trifling action expressed by fiddle.
tweed from (mid 19th century):
Tweed was originally produced in Scotland, where it was called tweel, a Scots form of twill (Middle English), a word based on two and like twine (Old English) indicating two-ply yarn. Around 1830 a cloth merchant misread this as tweed, a mistake perpetuated by association with the River Tweed, part of which forms the border between England and Scotland. Tweed is traditionally worn by the English country gentry, and tweedy has been used since the early 20th century to suggest a robust, traditional kind of Englishness.
twiddle one's thumbs
- Rotate one’s thumbs around each other with the fingers linked together.Oraciones de ejemplo
- ‘Well, you followed me,’ Trent pointed out with a smile, twiddling his thumbs together as he made himself more comfortable on the ground.
- ‘He says some b-b-bad things to me sometimes,’ Jamie said twiddling his thumbs together nervously.
- She began twiddling her thumbs together and staring at the wall ahead of her.
- 1.1Be bored or idle because one has nothing to do.Oraciones de ejemplo
be idle, do nothing, kill time, waste time, hang around, stand/sit aroundinformal futz around
- Everyone sat around looking embarrassed and twiddling their thumbs as usual.
- If I didn't come here in the night, I'd be sitting around at home, twiddling my thumbs and thinking about going to a real bar.
- All that sitting around twiddling my thumbs, and pretty soon even the dishes seemed like an interesting option.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- The production is functional but uninspiring, the knob - twiddlers unwilling to sail into any waters that might look dangerous or - perish the thought - exciting.
- Every single news organisation is critical of him and his band of thumb twiddlers.
- The result is a very creative album that effectively blends the sounds of two obviously talented knob twiddlers - experts, even.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- Could you just sing the tune of the hymn rather than the hundred and fifty-seven little twiddly bits?
- I had a peek at the control panel on the camera while the radiologist was out looking at the first set of snaps: huge, chunky, twiddly dials that looked as though they came from the first nuclear power plant.
- He can get a bit boring, because over and over again, it's the same tune with more twiddly bits.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.