Definición de vampire en inglés:
1A corpse supposed, in European folklore, to leave its grave at night to drink the blood of the living by biting their necks with long pointed canine teeth.
- What must he do to save his neck from the vampires who are after his blood?
- My parents were also vampires, and they drank blood to keep themselves alive.
- They found a coffin and when they opened it up, a vampire jumped out and drank their blood.
1.1A person who preys ruthlessly on others: the protectionist vampires in the Congress
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- He is the perpetually hungry scholar, too desiccated by poverty to return her love, a vampire preying on her bountiful spirit.
- There is still a place for vampires in the urban jungles where humanity habitually preys upon itself.
- Though they seem nice, they are actually power-hungry vampires, who manipulate you once you let your guard down.
2 (also vampire bat) A small bat that feeds on the blood of mammals or birds using its two sharp incisor teeth and anticoagulant saliva, found mainly in tropical America. See also false vampire.
- Family Desmodontidae (or Phyllostomidae): three species, in particular the common vampire (Desmodus rotundus)
- It is quite common for a vampire bat to fail to feed on a given night.
- When a vampire bat bites an animal, its saliva introduces an anticlotting agent to keep the blood meal flowing.
- Some scientists have suggested that the vampire bat developed its blood-sucking practice while it was an insect-eater, as most bats are.
- Example sentences
- Lee, in particular, was keen to find a role which would help the public think of him as something other than Dracula, the vampiric count he had played in several Hammer films.
- Apparently plants are vampiric in nature and thrive on blood.
- I truly looked vampiric - all I needed was the teeth and a small dribble of blood from my mouth to complete the look.
- Example sentences
- Toward the end of the series, she reveals a more daring (and vampirish) persona.
- Rowling's Harry Potter series served as a sort of literary flint for other, albeit darker, series such as the vampirish "Twilight" books.
- One of the latest weird trends in Japan consists of using artificial fangs so that they stick out a little bit and give you a vampirish look.
Definición de vampire en:
- Inglés británico e internacional dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan