Definición de washout en inglés:
1 [usually in singular] informal An event that is spoiled by constant or heavy rain.
- Through no fault of the organisers, last year's River Festival was a total washout, with torrential rain and flooding.
- Yesterday was a bit of a washout - it rained on and off most of the day so I spent my time in museums.
- But the rain came down again, leading to two further washouts, and the players christened the game the Match that Refused to Die.
1.1A disappointing failure: the film was a washout
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- New Years was a bit if a washout, which was a bit of a shame.
- He may be charming but he is willful, thoroughly spoiled and a washout in politics.
- I wouldn't say that the band is actually a washout, or even really that bad, but listening to all of their best hits back-to-back makes you realize just how little they experimented with their sound.
2A breach in a road or railroad track caused by flooding.
- Freezing temperatures, blowing snow, landslides and washouts all keep the maintenance of way crews busy on the pass.
- It can wheel through thick mud and washouts without getting stuck and without leaving behind big ruts.
- What had actually happened was that she had encountered an unseen, unmarked washout across the road more than three feet wide.
3 Medicine The removal of material or a substance from the body or a part of it, either by washing with a fluid, or by allowing it to be eliminated over a period.
- The abdomen was left open to allow for additional debridements and washouts of necrotizing fasciitis of the abdominal wall.
- Arthroscopic debridement and washout has a role as a temporising procedure in early osteoarthritis associated with mechanical symptoms.
- Two developed postoperative infection one of which required bilateral antral washout, the other settled with medical treatment.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan