- 1A small beetle with an elongated snout, the larvae of which typically develop inside seeds, stems, or other plant parts. Many are pests of crops or stored foodstuffs. Also called snout beetle.
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Curculionidae and other families in the superfamily Curculionoidea: numerous genera
- Weevils bore through the stem and eat the pith within, and beetle larvae bore through the roots.
- Although they are more usually a problem with plants grown in pots, vine weevils will attack plants growing out in the garden.
- I was surprised when the Royal Horticultural Society named the vine weevil as the worst pest in the garden last year.
- 1.1 • informal Any small insect that damages stored grain.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Why was nothing was done to fumigate the grain and protect it from weevils?
Old English wifel 'beetle', from a Germanic base meaning 'move briskly'.
Más definiciones de weevilDefinición de weevil en:
- el diccionario Inglés británico e internacional