A large brown wingless insect related to the grasshoppers, with long spiny legs and wood-boring larvae, found only in New Zealand.
- Family Stenopelmatidae: several genera, including Deinacrida (the giant wetas)
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Tuataras are primarily nocturnal predators of arthropods, especially those associated with sea bird colonies, and tree wetas (giant New Zealand orthopterans).
- A session conducted by this well-known entomologist attracted more than three hundred children who laughed hysterically as he let George the weta and other insects crawl across his face and even into his mouth.
- All the wetas I've seen have been tree wetas and I've seen them hidden under flaps of bark.
mid 19th century: from Maori.
Más definiciones de wetaDefinición de weta en:
- el diccionario Inglés británico e internacional