Definición de whirligig en inglés:
1A toy that spins around, for example, a top or a pinwheel.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- From whirligigs to stereoscopes, from toy soldiers to toy kitchens, from horse-drawn fire engines to subway cars, the New York Historical Society houses many toys illustrative of their day and the children who played with them.
- By 1988, when we devoted our February issue to the museum's holdings, its folk sculptures included carousel animals, whirligigs, weather vanes, decoys, trade signs, and some forty tobacconists' figures of all sizes and types.
- For a few hours I was a kid again, reliving memories sparked by the dozens of puppets and paintings, quilts and carvings, weather vanes and whirligigs that combined my two earliest passions - baseball and art.
2 [in singular] A thing regarded as hectic or constantly changing: the whirligig of time
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The piece is a political whirligig but also a play of ideas, about the politics of life as much as the life of politics, which also includes insights into two very different marriages.
- A time-worn, singular figure, however, bears contrary witness to the whirligig of our global age fraught, as it is, with the fever of frantic speeds, appetites for expanding size, and the vanity of vast numbers.
- Finally how fragile it is - choreography that is here today usually is gone tomorrow, lost in either the whirligig of fashion or the roulette-wheel of luck.
Late Middle English: from whirl + obsolete gig 'a top'.
Palabras que riman con whirligigLiebig • shindig
Definición de whirligig en:
- Diccionario Inglés británico e internacional
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda