Traducción de away en español:
away often appears as the second element of certain verb structures in English ( back away, do away with, slip away, etc). For translations, see the relevant verb entry ( back, do, slip, etc).
- 1 1.1 (from place, person) I looked away aparté la vista he limped away se alejó cojeando they dragged the fallen tree away se llevaron el árbol caído arrastrándolo I turned away me di la vuelta, me di vuelta (Southern Cone/Cono Sur) 1.2 (indicating removal) the bark had been stripped away habían quitado la corteza see also blow away take away wash away wipe away etc
- 2 2.1 (in the distance) it isn't far away no queda lejos we're still a long way away todavía estamos muy lejos Easter is a long way away falta mucho para Pascua it's 20 miles away queda a 20 millas she lives an hour's drive away vive a una hora de aquí en coche 2.2 (absent) she's away in Canada está en Canadá they're both away today ninguno de los dos está hoy I'll be away all next week toda la semana que viene no voy a estar or voy a estar fuera 2.3 [Sport/Deporte] (especially British English/especialmente inglés británico) to play away jugar* fuera (de casa)Example sentences
- We won away only once last season so to win away this season is to get a monkey off our back.
- And we will then expect to beat them when they come to us so winning away is a big advantage.
- It's quite simple, you play everybody home and away in the league and whoever's top at the end wins.
- 3 (on one's way) we were away before sunrise partimos or salimos antes del amanecer a couple of drinks and she's away [colloquial/familiar] se toma un par de copas y se desata you only have to mention golf and he's away [colloquial/familiar] apenas le mencionas el golf y no hay quien lo pare
- 4 4.1 (with imperative) I've got some questions to ask you — OK, ask away! tengo algunas preguntas que hacerle —¡dígame! or (in Latin America also/en América Latina también) ¡pregunte nomás! see also fire away 4.2 (continuously) he's been painting away all morning se ha pasado toda la mañana pintando I could hear him singing away in the bath lo oía cantar en el baño
- 5 5.1 (into nothing) the ghostly figure melted away into the darkness la figura fantasmal se desvaneció en la oscuridad see also die away fade away waste away etc 5.2 (indicating use of time) you're dreaming your life away se te está yendo la vida en sueños they danced the night away bailaron toda la noche
- 6away from (as preposition/como preposición) 6.1 (in opposite direction to) to face away from the light ponerse* de espaldas a la luz the hotel faces away from the sea el hotel da hacia el lado opuesto al mar she pulled the child away from the cliff edge apartó al niño del borde del acantilado 6.2 (at a distance, separated from) lejos de away from his family lejos de su familia stand well away from the fire no te acerques al fuego the ideal place if you want to be/get away from it all el lugar ideal si te quieres alejar del mundanal ruidoExample sentences
- Residents from four neighbouring houses spent a night away from their homes as the house was sealed off.
- Several of the injured kids began to cry out in pain or crawl away from the gun shots.
- To his surprise the baby quickly struggled out and started crawling away from them.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
In Mexican politics, a prospective party candidate for the presidency is called a tapado. Candidates traditionally emerge from within the party but their identity is not revealed until the candidate is officially declared: they remain tapados (hidden), thus arousing a great deal of speculation. Under the rule of the