- 1 (restrain)(enemy advance)
frenarOraciones de ejemplo
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Seafarers believe that the Government has to take drastic steps to check the flow of workers from Indian ships to foreign vessels.
- There is no one who can stop or check the world's only superpower.
- He wanted to check the bleeding, but he knew better than to stop applying pressure.
- Athene intervenes to check his urge to kill Agamemnon on the spot, and he withdraws in a sulk from the fighting.
- Kate licked her lips and tried to check her anger.
- Marcus remained silent while his temple pulsed and he checked his anger.
- 2 2.1 (inspect)(machine/product)
inspeccionar(quality)I'm just going to check my emails
controlarsolo voy a chequear mi correo electrónicoto check something
forsomethingcheck the material for flawscompruebe or chequee or (Mexico) cheque que el material no tenga tarascheck your local branch for informationinfórmese en su sucursal más cercanaOraciones de ejemplo2.2 (verify) let me check my diary/list
déjame chequearlo or (Mexico) checarlo en mi agenda/listacheck the meaning/spelling in the dictionaryverifica or comprueba el significado/la ortografía en el diccionarioto check something
- Dermatologists often check the mouth to determine a skin diagnosis or detect sexually transmitted diseases.
- It is a good idea to have your contractor or consultant check the health and quality of the trees when they arrive on site.
- He is alert, listens carefully to question after question and scans his answers as if to check them for accuracy.
againstsomethingcotejar or chequear algohe checked the copy against the original conalgocotejó or chequeó la copia con el originalcheck that it's closedasegúrate de que or comprueba que esté cerradodid you check when they're arriving?¿confirmaste cuándo llegan?¿chequeaste or (Mexico) checaste cuándo llegan?check whether the mail's arrivedmira a ver si ha llegado el correoOraciones de ejemplo
- His raids followed the pattern of ringing the door bell to check no-one was home, then going around to the back of the property and forcing a window.
- He checked a clock next to the bed. 3: 23.
- She checked the hallway and determined it was empty.
- 3 (chess)dar jaque (al rey)Oraciones de ejemplo
- Remember: when you check a King with your Rook, you always like to have as much distance between your Rook and the enemy King as possible.
- The best way is to check your opponent's King with the obstructing piece, which forces a response.
- If you intend to check the enemy King, try to put as much distance between your Rook and his King as possible.
- 1 countable (stop, restraint) to keep o hold something/somebody in checkcontrolar or contener algo/a alguiento put a check on somethingfrenar algoto put a check to something (American English)impedir algochecks and balances (Politics)mecanismos (masculine plural) de control y equilibrio de poderesOraciones de ejemplo
Oraciones de ejemplo
- The check to expansion is sharp and is intensified by the excesses inevitably associated with periods of over-rapid expansion.
- The first serious check to the spread of Arabic took place in the ninth century.
- He shows that a slab of the oceanic lithosphere beneath the west coast of America is sinking, almost without check, through the Earth's upper mantle and down into the lower mantle.
- I fully agree with you, though, that the unelected Eurocrats in Brussels need to be subject to democratic checks and controls sooner rather than later!
- The reason there are prosecutions proceeding is that the statutory checks and controls on that situation cannot be exercised.
- The problem is the lack of checks and controls on this system.
- 2 countable 2.1 (inspection)(of machine, product) inspección (feminine)to keep a check on something/somebodycontrolar or vigilar algo/a alguienOraciones de ejemplo2.2 (of facts, information) I'll have a check to see if there is enough
verificaré or veré si hay suficiente
- Tests and quality checks must be carried out before the satellite can be used, but the launch will be on schedule, he said.
- The mark is only awarded to organisations that pass regular quality checks.
- We would recommend that all elderly drivers have regular health checks.
- 3 uncountable (in chess) to be in checkestar en jaqueto put somebody in checkdarle jaque a alguienOraciones de ejemplo
- A move that is neither a capture, a check nor a direct attack.
- The idea of blocking checks by using the pawn as cover is a big one, and Black must do his best to avoid this pitfall.
- The idea is to use the Rook to shelter its King from upcoming checks.
- 4 (Finance)also: (British English) chequeto pay by checkpagar con cheque or (Spain) con talóna check for $50un cheque de 50 dólares or por valor de 50 dólaresopen/crossed check (British English)cheque al portador/cheque cruzadoblank check (to give somebody) a blank check they gave me a blank check to do whatever I pleasedme dieron carta blanca para hacer lo que quisiera
- 5 countable (restaurant bill) (American English)Oraciones de ejemplo
- Geoff looked at the check, threw some bills on the table, and taking her hand led her from the restaurant.
- We got our bill, paid the check, and made our way enthusiastically to Billy's Bakery.
- This software can analyze a restaurant's checks and produce reports on what wines are ordered with what entrées.
- 7 countable (tick) (American English)marca (feminine)
visto (masculine) (Spain)
palomita (feminine) (Mexico) [colloquial]Oraciones de ejemplo
- As she worked her way down the list, Jordan put checks by all the items that the company is already doing.
- Those are all checks in the plus column, but frankly, his material was lacking.
Verbos con partícula
- 1verb + adverb 1.1 (register) (at airport)
- 1verb + adverb (+ preposition + object) (leave)
- check my bags through to London, please
- I'm not sure what time it arrives but I'll check up before leaving
facturar or (Latin America tb) chequear el equipaje
(at hotel) registrarsethey haven't checked in yet
todavía no se han registrado1.2 (make routine contact) (American English) he usually checks in after lunch
generalmente llama/pasa después de comerif you're going to be late, be sure to check in
si vas a llegar tarde, no dejes de avisarnos2verb + object + adverb, verb + adverb + object 2.1 (register) the girl who checked us in
la chica que nos atendió ( or nos facturó el equipaje etc)2.2 (return) (American English)
(items/details)check the names off against my list
ve marcando los nombres cotejándolos con mi lista
irsehe's already checked out of the hotel
ya se ha ido del hotel (habiendo pagado la factura etc)2verb + adverb (tally) (American English)
(story/account)3verb + object + adverb, verb + adverb + object 3.1 we must check out the new film [colloquial]
tenemos que ir a ver qué tal es la nueva película3.2
(esp American English) (shopping) (customer/client)
(cashier)how many books can I check out at one time?
¿cuántos libros puedo sacar a la vez?4
factúreme el equipaje directamente a Londres, por favor
no estoy seguro de la hora que llega pero lo confirmaré antes de salirto check up (
le ha estado controlando los gastoshave you been checking up on me?
¿me has estado vigilando or espiando?we checked up on him and found out he was lying
hicimos averiguaciones y comprobamos que mentíaI think there's a flight at 9, can you check up on that?
creo que hay un vuelo a las 9 ¿puedes averiguar si es así? or ¿puedes comprobarlo or confirmarlo?
- 1 countable or uncountable (cloth)tela (feminine) a or de cuadrosOraciones de ejemplo
- Use chintz, damask and toiles along with classic stripes, checks and textured plain fabrics.
- Perhaps she likes 80s inspired punk fabrics, or checks or gingham or something else all together.
- The shirt range consists of solids in twills, poplins, structures, linens and checks.
- 2 countable (square)Oraciones de ejemplo
- This year, ancient Italian men are wearing generously cut worsted suits, either with waistcoat or cardigan, in natural earth colours with muted checks.
- They vary from simple patterns, such as alternating checks, triangles, or diamonds, to complex combined motifs.
- Bigger checks give an illusion of volume and suit thinner men while guys with heavier build look great in stripes, smaller checks etc.
- (before noun) (jacket/shirt)
a or de cuadrosOraciones de ejemplo
- But there's something youthful about him and it isn't just his Beatle cut and jazzy check shirt.
- A short grey check umbrella was lost from a bike basket on Friday, December 13.
- Mostly shot in vacant cafés with check tablecloths and the absence of daylight, this is a decidedly mixed bunch.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda