- 1 (restrain)(enemy advance)Oraciones de ejemplo
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Seafarers believe that the Government has to take drastic steps to check the flow of workers from Indian ships to foreign vessels.
- There is no one who can stop or check the world's only superpower.
- He wanted to check the bleeding, but he knew better than to stop applying pressure.
- Athene intervenes to check his urge to kill Agamemnon on the spot, and he withdraws in a sulk from the fighting.
- Kate licked her lips and tried to check her anger.
- Marcus remained silent while his temple pulsed and he checked his anger.
- 2 2.1 (inspect)(machine/product)(quality)I'm just going to check my emailsto check somethingsolo voy a chequear mi correo electrónico
forsomethingcheck the material for flawscheck your local branch for informationcompruebe or chequee or (Mexico) cheque que el material no tenga taras2.2 (verify) let me check my diary/listinfórmese en su sucursal más cercanacheck the meaning/spelling in the dictionarydéjame chequearlo or (Mexico) checarlo en mi agenda/listato check somethingverifica or comprueba el significado/la ortografía en el diccionario againstsomethinghe checked the copy against the originalcotejar or chequear algo conalgocheck that it's closedcotejó or chequeó la copia con el originaldid you check when they're arriving?asegúrate de que or comprueba que esté cerradocheck whether the mail's arrived¿confirmaste cuándo llegan?¿chequeaste or (Mexico) checaste cuándo llegan?mira a ver si ha llegado el correoOraciones de ejemplo
- Dermatologists often check the mouth to determine a skin diagnosis or detect sexually transmitted diseases.
- It is a good idea to have your contractor or consultant check the health and quality of the trees when they arrive on site.
- He is alert, listens carefully to question after question and scans his answers as if to check them for accuracy.
- 3 (chess)dar jaque (al rey)Oraciones de ejemplo
- Remember: when you check a King with your Rook, you always like to have as much distance between your Rook and the enemy King as possible.
- The best way is to check your opponent's King with the obstructing piece, which forces a response.
- If you intend to check the enemy King, try to put as much distance between your Rook and his King as possible.
- 5(American English) (mark)hacer un tic or (Mexico) [colloquial] una palomita enponer un visto en (Spain)Oraciones de ejemplo
- No need to worry about checking your bags when using online check-in.
- Pack vital prescriptions in carry-on, not checked, luggage.
- Checking overweight bags or too many bags can add up to major charges - due before you proceed to the gate.
- 1.1 (verify, make sure) just checking!1.2 (tally) (American English) to checksolo me quería asegurar
withsomething1.3 (stop)coincidir or concordar conalgo(person/horse)pararse de repentepararse en secoOraciones de ejemplo
- His raids followed the pattern of ringing the door bell to check no-one was home, then going around to the back of the property and forcing a window.
- He checked a clock next to the bed. 3: 23.
- She checked the hallway and determined it was empty.
- 1 countable (stop, restraint) to keep o hold something/somebody in checkto put a check on somethingcontrolar or contener algo/a alguiento put a check to something (American English)frenar algochecks and balances (Politics)impedir algomecanismos (masculine plural) de control y equilibrio de poderesOraciones de ejemplo
Oraciones de ejemplo
- The check to expansion is sharp and is intensified by the excesses inevitably associated with periods of over-rapid expansion.
- The first serious check to the spread of Arabic took place in the ninth century.
- He shows that a slab of the oceanic lithosphere beneath the west coast of America is sinking, almost without check, through the Earth's upper mantle and down into the lower mantle.
- I fully agree with you, though, that the unelected Eurocrats in Brussels need to be subject to democratic checks and controls sooner rather than later!
- The reason there are prosecutions proceeding is that the statutory checks and controls on that situation cannot be exercised.
- The problem is the lack of checks and controls on this system.
- 2 countable 2.1 (inspection — of passport, documents)(— of machine, product)to keep a check on something/somebody2.2 (of facts, information) I'll have a check to see if there is enoughcontrolar or vigilar algo/a alguienverificaré or veré si hay suficienteOraciones de ejemplo
- Tests and quality checks must be carried out before the satellite can be used, but the launch will be on schedule, he said.
- The mark is only awarded to organisations that pass regular quality checks.
- We would recommend that all elderly drivers have regular health checks.
- 3 uncountable (in chess) to be in checkto put somebody in checkestar en jaquedarle jaque a alguienOraciones de ejemplo
- A move that is neither a capture, a check nor a direct attack.
- The idea of blocking checks by using the pawn as cover is a big one, and Black must do his best to avoid this pitfall.
- The idea is to use the Rook to shelter its King from upcoming checks.
- 4 (Finance)also: (British English) chequeto pay by checka check for $50pagar con cheque or (Spain) con talónopen/crossed check (British English)un cheque de 50 dólares or por valor de 50 dólaresblank check (to give somebody) a blank check they gave me a blank check to do whatever I pleasedcheque al portador/cheque cruzadome dieron carta blanca para hacer lo que quisiera
- 5 countable (restaurant bill)Oraciones de ejemplo
- I got the check and resisted the urge to eat dessert.
- Any meal at a Roman restaurant that takes less than two hours is an exercise in rapidity; even the simple act of getting the check can seem agonizingly prolonged for first-time American visitors.
- Can we have the check please?
- 7 countable (tick)(American English)Oraciones de ejemplo
- As she worked her way down the list, Jordan put checks by all the items that the company is already doing.
- Those are all checks in the plus column, but frankly, his material was lacking.
Verbos con partícula
- 1verb + adverb 1.1 (register) (at airport)
- 1verb + adverb (+ preposition + object) (leave)
- check my bags through to London, please
- I'm not sure what time it arrives but I'll check up before leaving
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en EE. UU.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
Muy popular en Malasia
Muy popular en India
Muy popular en Pakistán
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
A portero is a superintendent in an apartment building who looks after it, keeps it clean, delivers mail, and keeps an eye on comings and goings. Porteros often have an apartment in the building as part of their pay. The portero, and particularly the female portera, are part of popular culture. They have a reputation for being inquisitive and fond of gossip.