- 1 (Anatomy) (organ)(outer part) oreja (feminine)he has big earstiene orejas grandesthe inner/middle/outer earel oído interno/medio/externoear, nose and throat departmentel departamento de otorrinolaringología or de oído, nariz y gargantato grin from ear to earsonreír de oreja a orejato listen with a sympathetic earescuchar con actitud comprensivato listen with half an earescuchar a mediasher ears must be burningle deben estar ardiendo las orejas or zumbando los oídosto be all ears to bend somebody's ear [colloquial]darle la lata a alguien [colloquial]to be out on one's ear [colloquial]you'll be out on your earte van a poner de patitas en la calle [colloquial]to be up to one's ears in debt/trouble/workestar hasta aquí or hasta las orejas de deudas/problemas/trabajoto be wet behind the earsestar verdeto come to somebody's ears
no tener experienciallegar a oídos de alguiento fall down about o around one's earsthe house is falling down around our earsla casa se nos está viniendo abajo or cayendo a pedazosit brought their dreams crashing down about their earsechó por tierra sus ilusionesto fall on deaf earscaer en oídos sordosto give somebody a thick ear [colloquial]darle una torta or un moquete a alguien [colloquial]to go in one ear and out the other [colloquial]I've told her a thousand times, but it just goes in one ear and out the otherse lo he dicho mil veces, pero le entra por un oído y le sale por el otroto have/keep one's ear to the groundmantenerse atentoto have somebody's eargozar de la confianza de alguiento lend an ear to somebodyprestarle atención a alguiento pin back one's earsnow pin back your ears [colloquial]escuchen bienI'll pin back his ears for him! (American English) [colloquial]
paren la oreja (Latin America) [colloquial]le voy a dar un buen tirón de orejas [colloquial]see→ pin backto prick up one's ears (person) to set somebody by the earsthe will set the whole family by the earsel testamento sembró la discordia entre or enemistó a los miembros de la familiato set something on its ear (American English)causar revuelo en algoto turn a deaf ear to somebody/something
revolucionar algohacer oídos sordos a alguien/algoOraciones de ejemplo
Oraciones de ejemplo
- If the growth is large, then it may have caused more damage and this sometimes leads to some loss of hearing in the affected ear.
- Surgeons are sometimes able to preserve some hearing in the ear being operated on, but this is rare.
- The balancing mechanism in the ear can be tested in various ways using vestibulometric tests.
- They have a tragus, which can be folded back to seal the opening of the ear when the animal digs.
- In many ways, the cetacean ear is radically different from the ear of terrestrial mammals.
- Then she would have leaned over and stroked the mare's neck whispering sweet nothings in her ear as the animal pranced.
- 2 (sense of hearing) pleasing to the ear to have a good ear for music/languagestener oído para la música/los idiomasto play an instrument/a piece by eartocar un instrumento/una pieza de oídoto play it by earwhat are you going to say? — I don't know, I'll just have to play it by ear¿qué vas a decir? — no sé, ya veré llegado el momento or sobre la marchaOraciones de ejemplo
- But with near sensory overload of sound, music and colour, not having an ear for the Danish language didn't matter.
- In fact, it sounded so good that it seemed as though someone with an ear for classical music was at the helm of this company and so we decided to investigate.
- He was also a magnificent writer with an ear for language and a wonderful imagination, and a fine poet to boot.
- (of corn)Oraciones de ejemplo
- Plants were allowed to open-pollinate and all measurements were taken on plants with a fertilized ear.
- Measurements were conducted at 20°C at the second leaf of seedlings and at 25°C at the second leaf above the ear during flowering.
- It is most noticeable as grayish black galls on the ear of the plant.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda