- 1 countable/numerable (pledge) compromiso (m); (period) noviazgo (m) they have broken off their engagement han roto su compromiso (before noun/delante del nombre) engagement party fiesta (feminine) de compromiso or de petición de mano engagement ring anillo (masculine) de compromiso or (in Spain also/en España también) de pedidaMás ejemplos en oraciones
- We separated twice in the duration of our engagement.
- Apparently their society demanded a year long engagements, and this couple were newlyweds on their honeymoon.
- People usually marry after a period of formal engagement that can last several years.
- 2 2.1 countable/numerable (appointment) compromiso (masculine) a prior o previous engagement un compromiso previo public engagement compromiso oficial I have a dinner engagement on Friday [formal] el viernes tengo una cena (before noun/delante del nombre) engagement diary agenda (feminine) 2.2 countable or uncountable/numerable o no numerable (employment) contrato (m), empleo (m)
- 3 countable/numerable (battle) [formal] combate (masculine)Más ejemplos en oraciones
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- He had just returned from a dinner engagement with his sister and family.
- I headed off for our dinner engagement where I waited in vain for my dear husband to arrive.
- This did not help poor Sam who had a dinner engagement at 8.30 pm at Lancaster, hope she made it.
- Extending the conclusion of losing battles, engagements and fire fights can salvage some benefits in the greater campaign.
- He fought in most major engagements of the Mexican war.
- The fight for Little Round Top is certainly one of the most written about tactical engagements in the Civil War.
- 4 uncountable/no numerable [Technology/Tecnología] engranaje (masculine)Más ejemplos en oraciones
- China's engagement in space scientific experiments and technical tests is entirely out of peaceful purpose, it also represents a contribution to the science of humanity and to the cause of peace.
- Besides my amusement in actually relating a current writing to Plato, I think the column astutely voices a deficiency of student engagement in classes.
- Mutual obligation is therefore seen as a social or political value that can be enforced without reference to whether it involves engagement in a reciprocal economy.
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Spain's War of Independence against Napoleon Bonaparte's French occupation was ignited by the popular revolt in Madrid on 2 May 1808 against the French army. With support from the Duke of Wellington, Spanish resistance continued for over five years in a guerra de guerrillas which gave the world the concept and the term guerrilla warfare. The autocratic Fernando VII was restored to the throne in 1814, and his first act was to abolish the progressive Constitution of Cadiz adopted in 1812.