noun/nombre (plural -lies)
- 1 c and u 1.1 (relatives) familia (feminine) my son and his family mi hijo y su familia the Smith family la familia Smith a friend of the family un amigo de la familia he's just like one of the family es como de la familia they have family in California tienen parientes or familiares or familia en California immediate family parientes (masculine plural) cercanos we are a very close family somos una familia muy unida she's mad! — it runs in the family ¡está loca! — es cosa de familia or le viene de familia she comes from a good family es de buena familia her family goes back a long way es de una familia muy antigua keep it in the family que no salga de la familia (before noun/delante del nombre) [doctor] de cabecera; [Bible] familiar; [business/gathering/car] familiar; [jewels/fortune] de la familia this is a family affair este es un asunto de familia the family home la casa paterna you can see the family likeness se le ve el aire de familia this is a family show este es un espectáculo para familiasMás ejemplos en oraciones
Más ejemplos en oraciones1.2 (children) hijos (masculine plural) to start a family tener* hijos to be in the family way [colloquial/familiar] [euphemistic/eufemístico] estar* esperando (familia) or [euphemistic/eufemístico] en estado
- The good thing about having a big family, all living together, is having the support, and not being lonely.
- Shared parenting and family friendly work practices for both parents might even just keep more families together.
- NEW safety rules which stopped many families from swimming together have been abandoned after protests from parents.
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- You are asked to encourage as many of your friends and family to donate blood.
- What matters most is that their close families and friends fully support their marriages.
- Sincere sympathy is extended to all the families, relatives and friends of the deceased.
- Every success in the future on this new venture to the couple and their family.
- Several meals out have been lavishly enjoyed by the couple and their family at this stage!
- The property is not suitable for large families so the target market when trying to sell it is that of the first-time buyers and couples with young families.
- 2 countable/numerable 2.1 (group of people) the family of man la gran familia humana the university family (American English/inglés norteamericano) la comunidad universitaria 2.2 [Biology/Biología] familia (feminine)Más ejemplos en oraciones2.3 (set of related items, products) familia (feminine) the violin family la familia del violín
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- If one denies paraphyletic taxa, where do genera and families come from?
- The simulated taxa can be seen as analogous to genera or families, the usual focus of diversity studies.
- In addition, honeyeaters are known to forage on a range of plant families, genera and species at any one time, and do not rely on a single plant species for food.
- The news that GABA receptors constitute a family of proteins was music to drug companies' ears.
- They constitute a large family that includes both parasitic and free-living varieties.
- Luther dramatically succeeded and thereby inaugurated a new family of Protestant readings.
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Every year the charitable Fundación Príncipe de Asturias makes eight awards in various categories. They are presented by the Príncipe de Asturias, the heir to the Spanish throne, in the Asturian city of Oviedo. The prize includes a monetary reward of 50,000 euros and a sculpture by the Catalan artist Joan Miró. Winners have included: the writers Umberto Eco and Mario Vargas Llosa; the politicians Nelson Mandela and Yasser Arafat; the organization Médecins sans Frontières; the scientist Stephen Hawking; and the golfer Severiano Ballesteros.