- 1 1.1 (of nation, movement, organization)(pennant) banderín (masculine)to salute o honor the flag (in US)saludar (a) la banderato sail under the Panamanian flagnavegar con bandera panameñanavegar con pabellón panameño [formal]to go down with all flags flyingcaer con las botas puestasto keep the flag flying (maintain traditions)
luchar valientemente hasta el finalmantener las tradiciones de la patriathere's one team left to keep the flag flyingqueda un equipo defendiendo los colores nacionalesto put the flags outcelebrar algo por todo lo altoto show o fly the flaghacer patriaI'll go along to show the flag [colloquial]
dejar bien puesta la banderairé para hacer acto de presenciaOraciones de ejemplo1.2 (as marker, signal) to fly o wave the white flag
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Following a death, white banners, flags, and other decorations are put up according to the status of the deceased.
- Scotland's parliament may be a year behind schedule and massively overspent, but that will not get in the way of creating a new flag for the troubled institution.
- The flag flew from every public building, from every municipal flagpole, and from every structure of consequence in the land.
- When the home keeper gathered the ball on the edge of his area the assistant referee vigorously waved his flag, signalling that his hands were outside.
- He is released on the right and Saudi fans start to get excited but the linesman quickly raises his flag to signal off-side.
- In the ensuing confusion, he managed to win the race following a wrong flag signal by a panicked marshal.
- 2 (on map, chart)Oraciones de ejemplo
- She had taken a world map, stuck in flags where she had already been, and pinned in all the places she wanted to go.
- My stats package thoughtfully puts a national flag next to each country domain as it pops up on the server so it was easy to spot one I did not recognize.
- 3 (Computing)Oraciones de ejemplo
- Thereby, the flag is recorded on the effective data area.
- During event registration, specific flags indicate whether a handler is to be executed inside a process.
- Don't ever delete a record - mark them for deletion with a flag, and then archive them periodically.
- 4 (American English) 4.1 (in taxi) 4.2 (on mailbox)(banderita metálica que indica que hay correo para recoger)
- 5 (masthead) (Journalism)Oraciones de ejemplo
- Admiral Jellicoe flew his flag in the battleship HMS Iron Duke at the Battle of Jutland in 1916.
- With Admiral Togo flying his flag in the British-built battleship Mikasa, a strong naval force moved into position.
- The early ensigns were striped flags, some in the green and white of the Tudor Royal Livery colours, some red and white, some in other livery colours.
transitive verb -gg-
- 1 1.1 (mark with flags)marcar or señalar con banderasOraciones de ejemplo1.2 (mark for special attention)
Oraciones de ejemplo1.3 (Computing)
- The only thing it lets me do with a button is spell check, and the only word it's ever flagged for me as misspelled was not misspelled.
- The program flags possible tax deductions and includes a flexible spending calculator.
- A match was found and the program flagged the info and forwarded it to the Early Warning sub-system.
señalar (con un indicador o una bandera)
- The problems of this sector have been flagged up for some time.
- That ‘something’ may have been flagged up by the controversy and, no matter who was in the wrong there, I think it pointed ominously to a new battleground behind the scenes.
- The Central Bank of Russia auditors, reviewing the deals, believed they were highly suspicious and should have been flagged up to authorities.
- 2 (stop) → flag downOraciones de ejemplo
- A man was arrested after a bus driver was flagged down at a bus stop on a York estate and threatened with a knife.
- Why would any rational cement mixer driver stop for someone flagging them down?
- It stops when you flag it down, but the driver demurs with the same explanation, and kindly informs you that a bus back to town will be along in an hour.
Verbos con partícula
parar (haciendo señas)
parar (haciendo señas)
- (Botany)Oraciones de ejemplo
- This area of yellowed chlorotic tissue marks the juncture of the stems and the flag leaves at the time of the freeze.
- Water vapour and carbon dioxide exchange were measured weekly on attached flag leaves from flowering until full senescence, from eight different plants of each line.
intransitive verb -gg-
- 1Oraciones de ejemplo
- After her singing career flagged during the 1990s she reinvented herself as a pop diva, scoring 37 hit singles in the UK.
- The party, so recently flagging, was beginning to take flight now.
- Although my head was definitely up for some serious retail therapy, my heart was elsewhere and I found my enthusiasm flagging after two or three shops.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda