Traducción de freeze en español:
intransitive verb past tense froze past participle frozen
- 1 1.1 (turn to ice)helarseto freeze solid or hard
congelarsecongelarse or helarse (por completo or completamente)Oraciones de ejemplo1.2 (ice up)
(pipe/lock/ground)the windshield had frozen
- Since water expands as it freezes, ice forming inside pipes can break them.
- The water vapour would rise to the uppermost atmosphere where it freezes into tiny ice crystals.
- The water may even freeze, producing frost on the inside surface of the window.
congelarseel parabrisas estaba cubierto de hieloOraciones de ejemplo1.3
(person)to freeze to death
- You have to put cardboard up in the grates of your car to keep the engine block from freezing.
- Trees can be planted any time before the ground freezes.
- Planting can take place anytime the soil can be worked, as long as the plants' root structures have time to develop before the ground freezes.
congelarsemorir congeladoI'm freezing!¡estoy helado!my blood froze
¡me estoy muriendo de frío!se me heló la sangre en las venasOraciones de ejemplo
- It's minus 10 degrees outside, if he falls over he'll freeze to death!
- I take a cardigan and a pashmina, because on many planes you can freeze to death from the air conditioning.
- I shivered, ‘It's getting cold out here, we better head in before we freeze to death.’
- 2 2.1 (stand still)quedarse inmóvil¡freeze!
paralizarse¡alto or quieto ahí!to freeze in one's tracksquedarse inmóvil or paralizadoOraciones de ejemplo2.2 (smile/grimace)the smile froze on her face the remark/words froze on his lips
se quedó con el comentario/la palabra en la boca
- For a moment, there was silence in the centre of Potters Bar as everyone nearby froze at the shock of the noise and juddering force of the impact.
- A schoolgirl told how she froze with fear as she was allegedly molested by a drunken man in an early hours attack.
- While the two other women ran, Zhao testified that she froze, fearing she would be shot.
- 3 (Cooking)some fruits don't freeze wellalgunas frutas no se prestan para ser congeladasOraciones de ejemplo
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Most food is frozen or pre-cooked to preserve it - a great shame.
- The cells were frozen and stored for weeks to months.
- Either cook or freeze raw meat, fish and poultry within two days of purchasing it.
- Cooked wild rice freezes well, so you can conveniently keep it on hand for gourmet dishes.
- All these fruits freeze well except strawberries, which should be saved for the summer months.
- It's easy to bake, being essentially a cake more than a steamed pudding, it comes with a spectacularly simple sauce, it freezes well and it reheats like a dream for seconds and thirds.
transitive verb past tense froze past participle frozen
- 2 2.1 (preserve)(food/organ/embryo)2.2 (anesthetize)
congelarOraciones de ejemplo
- The mouth and throat are numbed up or frozen with a local anesthetic until all cough and gag reflexes are gone.
- It's amazing how numb your mouth can be when they freeze it.
- His mouth was frozen numb from eating so much ice cream.
- 3 3.1 (block)(assets/account)
congelarOraciones de ejemplo3.2 (fix)
- Company bank accounts and assets have been frozen by Russian courts to prevent Yukos from selling businesses to fund the bill.
- Government instructions, bankers say, were to freeze assets now and ask questions later.
- The firm will likely be placed under court receivership, which would install trustees and freeze all company assets.
congelarOraciones de ejemplo3.3 (stop)
- The cost of new cars is currently frozen at the same level as June 2003, making the New Year the perfect time to bag a good deal.
- The employer contribution is frozen at the level of 6.5 percent.
- So long as the prices of consumer goods were frozen below free-market levels, producers had little incentive to bring their goods to market.
suspenderOraciones de ejemplo
- If you freeze the image near the start of Shadows, you'll see that it's really an abstract film.
- The perceptual realm that we sense beyond the sphere of focused vision is as important as the focused image that can be frozen by the camera.
- The last image, a frozen frame, is of his sad, sweet face alongside the flowers.
- 4 (Cinema, Television)(frame/shot)
- 1 (limitation, stoppage) a wage/price freezeuna congelación salarial/de preciosthey proposed a total freeze on nuclear researchpropusieron una suspensión total de las investigaciones nuclearesOraciones de ejemplo
- The government has imposed a two and a half year pay freeze on teachers.
- In the 2002 pay round, the company proposed a freeze on wages and cuts to conditions such as shift allowances and overtime rates.
- The task force called for a freeze on all measures which would see alcohol becoming more available on the grounds that further availability would increase alcohol problems.
- 2 (cold spell)Oraciones de ejemplo
- Many problems related to the May 28 frost in 1992 were related to the cool, damp weather that followed the freeze.
- The big freeze showed no sign of ending yesterday with savage frosts overnight and forecasters predicting temperatures as low as minus 20C.
- It will highlight the fact that we are still living in the great ice age, which has included periods of both hot and cold weather, and will examine the two most recent big freezes in 1947 and 1963.
Verbos con partícula
- 1 (get blocked)
(river/pipes/lock)2 (by fright, anxiety)
quedarse paralizado ( or sin habla etc. )3 (become secretive)
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda