- 1 uncountable (land, terrain) marshy groundterreno pantanosohigh groundterreno elevadoa patch of groundun área de terrenoto be on dangerous o slippery groundpisar terreno peligrosoto be on one's own groundestar en lo suyoto be on safe o firm o solid groundpisar terreno firmeonce he began talking about architecture, he was obviously on firmer groundse notó que estaba más seguro de lo que decía cuando empezó a hablar de arquitecturato be sure of one's groundsaber qué terreno se pisato change o shift one's groundcambiar de posturato fall on stony groundcaer en saco rototo gain/lose groundganar/perder terrenothe Republicans have managed to regain ground lost in previous electionslos republicanos han logrado recuperar el terreno perdido en elecciones anterioresthe treatment is gaining ground in the medical worldel tratamiento está ganando adeptos entre los médicosto give ground(in argument)
ceder terreno(in battle)to make ground (Sport)
ceder terrenoacortar distanciasto stand/hold one's ground(in argument)
no ceder terreno(in battle)
no ceder terrenoOraciones de ejemplo
Oraciones de ejemplo
- While in the air, he watched as a tractor pulling a plow cut a dark line of earth across an expanse of ground.
- In 1757, he leased a back house and some ground adjoining his premises on Cork Hill.
- Grass surpluses have developed on grazing ground on many farms at present following recent good growth.
- Just before a cottage, go right at a green marker-post and follow a path across marshy ground to a gate in the fence to your right.
- Cross marshy ground to a cairn, and after 300 yards you will reach the trig point on top of Auchineden Hill.
- Houses included piled structures with stone hearths set in marshy ground.
- 2also: grounds plural(premises)
jardines (masculine plural)
parque (masculine)Oraciones de ejemplo
- The building, the grounds and surrounding area are untidy.
- In contrast to the grounds surrounding the house, this area had been neatly trimmed and landscaped.
- During their weeding and cleaning the pupils also learned much about the horticulture of the grounds surrounding the church buildings.
- 3 uncountable(surface of the earth)
suelo (masculine)(soil)we sat on the ground
tierra (feminine)nos sentamos en el suelothe ground was too hard to digla tierra estaba demasiado dura para cavarthe eagle was soaring high above the groundel águila volaba a gran alturathe rail link runs below groundel enlace ferroviario es subterráneoas soon as we got above grounden cuanto salimos a la superficiethe ball ran along the groundla pelota rodó por el sueloto fall/drop to the groundcaer al sueloto crash to the groundestrellarse contra el suelothe house burned to the groundla casa quedó reducida a cenizasthe village was razed to the groundel pueblo fue arrasado totalmentethe pilot was waiting for intructions from the groundel piloto estaba a la espera de instrucciones de tierraI wished the ground would open up and swallow mehubiera querido que la tierra me tragarafrom the ground up on the ground (British English) thick/thin on the ground (British English) [colloquial]celebrities were thick on the ground at the première
pensé 'tierra, trágame'había muchos famosos en el estrenoorders have been very thin on the ground recentlyúltimamente han escaseado mucho los pedidos or ha habido muy pocos pedidosto break new o fresh ground to cut the ground from under somebody/somebody's feethis evidence cut the ground from under the prosecuting lawyer's feetsus declaraciones echaron por tierra el argumento del fiscalhis sudden change of mind cut the ground from under mesu inesperado cambio de opinión echó por tierra todos mis planesto get off the ground (plan/project)llegar a concretarseit was a long time before the talks got off the groundpasó mucho tiempo antes de que las conversaciones empezaran a encaminarseto go to ground (British English)(fugitive)
esconderse(fox)to prepare the ground for something
meterse en la madriguerapreparar el terreno para algoto run somebody/something to grounddar con algo/alguiento run o work oneself into the groundyou're working yourself into the groundte estás dejando el pellejo en el trabajo [colloquial]to suit somebody down to the ground [colloquial]she said she wasn't going, which suited me down to the grounddijo que no iba, lo cual me vino de perillas or de perlas [colloquial]that hat suits you down to the groundese sombrero te queda que ni pintado [colloquial]to worship the ground somebody walks onbesar la tierra que pisa alguien(before noun) (conditions)
de tierra(attack)their ground game is suspect
por tierrasus pases bajos son bastante flojosOraciones de ejemplo
- In spring you kill the vetch by simply cutting it close to the ground, and then lay it in place on the beds.
- He froze and lay close to the ground, his entire body choked up with uncontrollable fear.
- Light rails are too buslike to impress most commuters, too squished and close to the ground.
- 4 uncountable (matter, subject) it is impossible to cover all the ground in two lectureses imposible desarrollar todos los aspectos del tema en dos conferenciaswe covered a lot of ground in our discussionstratamos muchos puntos en nuestras conversacioneswe're going over the same ground againestamos volviendo sobre lo mismo
- 5 countable (outdoor site) football ground (British English)campo (masculine) de fútbolUnited has not been beaten on its own ground this season
cancha (feminine) de fútbol (Latin America)United no ha perdido en casa esta temporadacamping groundzona (feminine) de acampadatesting o proving groundcampo (masculine) or terreno (masculine) de pruebas
- 6 uncountable(American English) (Electricity)a connection to ground
tierra (feminine)una conexión a tierra(before noun) (terminal/wire)
- 8 (justification) (usually plural) grounds for concernmotivos de preocupacióngrounds for divorcecausal (masculine) de divorcioon legal/financial groundspor motivos legales/económicoson grounds of ill health
por razones legales/económicaspor motivos de saludthere are grounds for thinking o believing he's deadexisten razones para pensar or creer que ha muertothey refused to do it, on the grounds that …se negaron a hacerlo, alegando or aduciendo que …Oraciones de ejemplo
- That may give them grounds for a constitutional challenge on the grounds of equality and of guarantees not to endow any religion.
- But in a case such as the present where the bad faith of the plaintiff is not alleged, I can see no basis for the implication of a representation of reasonable grounds for belief.
- However, interest-based financing systems can neither be justified on the grounds of efficiency nor on the basis of economic justice.
- 1 (usually passive) 1.1 (base) the events showed our fears to be well groundedlos acontecimientos revelaron que nuestros temores eran fundados or justificados1.2 (instruct)to ground somebody
insomethingdar a alguien buenos conocimientos or una buena base de algohe is well grounded in Germantiene una sólida base en alemánOraciones de ejemplo
- The brilliant synthesis was grounded in his own practical experience.
- This radical political practice was grounded in an equally radical theology.
- The music is soulful while being grounded in the aesthetic and working practices of jazz.
- 2 2.1(plane)all flights are grounded on account of fog
retirar del serviciodebido a la niebla no despegará ningún vuelothe captain will be grounded until after the investigationel capitán permanecerá apartado de su cargo hasta una vez finalizada la investigación2.2 (child/teenager) (especially American English) [colloquial]I can't go out tonight; I'm groundedno puedo salir esta noche, estoy castigado or no me dejanOraciones de ejemplo
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Being grounded by your parents will be treated as an unexcused absence.
- I was kicked out of the altar serving program and I was grounded by my parents for a good month.
- The social ostracism extends to grounding the child or even making him go to bed early.
- He had been praised for a mission where he rescued injured youngsters in atrocious flying conditions which had grounded every other aircraft.
- Some flights to the US could be grounded after the airline pilots' union called on its members not to fly with armed sky marshals on board.
- He said the airline has grounded the pilot with pay while executives investigate the incident.
- 3 (Nautical)(ship)
hacer encallarOraciones de ejemplo
- Initially it seems that the ship is grounded as solidly as a breakwater, but after a while the creaks and groans are evidence of movement, however slight this may be.
- Yesterday, salvors were also hard at work on the cargo ship Sagitarius, which is grounded on the rocks off Leaches Bay.
- If river levels sink too low, barges could be grounded and agriculture thrown into chaos.
- 4 (Sport) (in US football, rugby)(ball)
poner en tierra(in baseball) (ball)he grounded the ball to short (stop)
hacer rodarbateó un roletazo or (Venezuela) un rolling al short stopOraciones de ejemplo
Oraciones de ejemplo
- However replays showed his foot went into touch as he grounded the ball.
- The irony is that he would have been two strokes better off had he not been penalised for grounding his club in a bunker during Thursday's first round.
- However, he made no attempt to ground the ball and ran touch in goal for what should have been a certain try.
- The batter grounded out, shortstop to first, and the runner from second rounded third and attempted to score on the play.
- He started Game 6 at first base and grounded out to first in his only at-bat.
- He ended the inning by grounding out to third.
- 5(American English) (Electricity)
conectar a tierraOraciones de ejemplo
- The method further includes contacting the second metallization layer with a conductive liquid that is electrically grounded.
- And since this pipe extended a considerable distance below ground, it served as an adequate basis for grounding the entire electrical system.
- The spark plugs must be grounded to complete the electrical circuit.
- past & past p→ grind
- (coffee/pepper)ground rice (British English)
molidoOraciones de ejemplo
- This is not always necessary as some butchers sell finely ground mince.
- Richworth produce a fine ground up trout pellet that is ideal for my purposes.
- Remove from the oven, dry on paper towels and then toss them in the cumin, chilli and salt and freshly ground pepper.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
= de moda