Traducción de guard en español:
- 1 1.1 (watch over)(person/reputation)
proteger(secret)the door is heavily guarded
guardartienen la entrada muy vigiladaI asked him to guard the suitcasesle pedí que vigilase las maletasto guard something/somebody
againstsomething/somebody o fromsomethingproteger algo/a alguien deor contraalguien/algoOraciones de ejemplo
Oraciones de ejemplo1.2 (in chess, cards)
- It's believed the soldiers will guard the control tower, the large fuel tanks and parts of the runway at certain times.
- US soldiers guarding the gate usually stand about 20 yards from the road behind coils of barbed wire and concrete barriers.
- He was not surprised when he saw soldiers guarding the gates.
- Since I was one of the few women, and the only unarmed prisoner, I was guarded in a more lax manner than the others.
- Seventy percent of those who guard women prisoners are men.
- We do have people contracted to guard prisoners.
reservarse(American English) (Sport)
marcarOraciones de ejemplo
- His stance is not quite as low as it would be guarding the ball handler, but he is still down and ready to move.
- Sometimes you'll have your back slightly turned to guard the ball.
- The closer to the basket your player is, the closer you should guard them.
- 1 1.1 countable (sentry, soldier) the Guards (in UK)regimiento (masculine) de la Guardia Realbank/security guardguarda (masculine or feminine) jurado/de seguridadprison guard (American English)carcelero, (-ra) (masculine, feminine)
oficial (masculine or feminine) de prisionesOraciones de ejemplo1.2 (squad) (no plural) the changing of the guard
el cambio or el relevo de la guardiaan honor guard o (British English) a guard of honouruna guardia de honorthe old guardla vieja guardia
- Also, we will assign two guards to watch your every move on this establishment.
- I set up a guard duty to watch for trouble and set to work deciphering the messages that would explain the runes.
- I am protected by guards, have access to cars, the entire secure compound, you name it.
la guardia vieja (River Plate area)Oraciones de ejemplo1.3 countable (Sport) (in US football)
(in basketball) escolta (masculine or feminine)Oraciones de ejemplo
- The much-awaited change of guard in the military would follow the latest TNI reshuffle which affected 118 officers.
- There is a change of guard at the top of the main reconstruction body.
- A military honor guard was fired for saying ‘God bless you’ as he handed the flag over at funerals.
Oraciones de ejemplo1.4
- He'll be looking at cornerbacks, defensive tackles, outside linebackers, guards and receivers.
- If this play is well-executed, the linebackers get caught pursuing the flow of the guards and running back to the right.
- A guard, tight end or running back can help Jones, giving him an advantage in passing situations.
(Irish English) (police officer) policía (masculine or feminine)Oraciones de ejemplo
- He was quick enough to disrupt opposing guards anywhere on the floor while also using his size and strength to stop them.
- It involves a high post player and both guards, or a medium post man and a guard and forward, on the ball side of the floor.
- There are times it will be necessary for the two guards to switch these responsibilities.
- All I could see when I went out into my garden were Garda cars and around 10 guards and detectives around the field.
- I sat in the police car and the guard put the seat belt on me.
- It would certainly help when we only have four guards on patrol in Naas.
- 2 uncountable (surveillance) to be on guard they stood guard over the jewelsmontaron or hicieron (la) guardia en el recinto donde estaban las joyasshe ordered that an all-night guard be mounted outside the embassyordenó que se montara guardia durante toda la noche frente a la embajada(before noun) guard dutyOraciones de ejemplo
- The irrational fanatics might not heed to reason, but humanitarians must not become fatalistic and drop the guard of eternal vigilance.
- Defenders of civil rights need to mount a vigilant guard.
- The killers, if they are still alive, must be brought to justice and we have no alternative but to keep our guard up against the likelihood that there are others plotting to repeat the assaults.
- 3 uncountable (in boxing, fencing) to take left/right guardcubrirse con la izquierda/derechaon guard!¡en guardia!to be on/off (one's) guardestar alerta or en guardia/estar desprevenidohe caught me off (my) guardme agarró or (Spain) cogió desprevenidohis guard was up/down
me tomó or (Spain) me cogió por sorpresaestaba/no estaba en guardiato lower o drop one's guardOraciones de ejemplo
- He used good defensive skills and a nice guard on the ropes to set up short hooks with both hands when Telesco got in close.
- When Chi did open up, his work was either missing or hitting gloves and Brodie maintained good movement and a tight guard for the opening minute or so.
- Taking turns with your partner drilling the swinging armbar from the guard is an example of this sort of drill.
- 4 countablealso: fire guard4.1guardallama(s) (masculine)4.2 (on machinery)cubierta (feminine) ( or dispositivo (masculine) etc) de seguridadOraciones de ejemplo4.3 (on sword)
(around trigger) seguro (masculine)
- All the trees would be surrounded by guards to prevent damage from sheep and other animals.
- To prevent tooth injuries, children should wear facemasks and mouth guards while playing sports.
- The guard also prevents damage if the car bottoms-out over ruts or dips in the road.
- 5 countable (precaution) a guard against error/theft/infectionuna protección contra los errores/el robo/las infeccionesas a guard against mistakespara prevenir errores
- 6 countable(British English) (Railways)
jefe, (-fa) (masculine, feminine) de trenOraciones de ejemplo
- These were the employees who operated the railway: the station staff, the signalmen, the shunters and the guards on the trains.
- Running staff, drivers of passenger and good trains, guards and locomotive inspectors are involved in the dispute.
- Thousands of rail guards at train companies across the country are to be balloted on strikes in a long-running row over their safety role.
Verbos con partícula
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda