Traducción de keep en español:
- 1 (living) I pay them something toward her keephe helped in the kitchen to earn his keepcontribuyo con algo para su manutenciónfor keepshe gave it to me for keepsayudaba en la cocina a cambio de comida y techoif they win the cup again, it's theirs for keepsme lo regalósi vuelven a ganar la copa, se la quedan para siempreOraciones de ejemplo
- They had their pay and their keep and were given a quarter of a sheep to take home to feed their families.
- People like us who did without to own our house as a legacy for our children have our home taken off us if we have to go into care to pay for our keep.
- Occasionally. in those days, some would be paid a wage but mostly they would work for their keep and a little pocket money.
- 2 (in castle, fortress)torre (feminine) del homenajeOraciones de ejemplo
- Even the gateways leading into old keeps and castles don't escape the over-enthusiasm of some amateur restorers.
- Whereas motte and bailey castles were surrounded by a wooden fence, the stone keeps could rely on outer walls made of stone (curtain walls).
- In a few places great stone keeps were begun, best known of which is the Tower of London.
transitive verb past tense & past participle kept
- 1 1.1(not give back)quedarse con(not lose)is this old pan worth keeping?keep the change¿vale la pena guardar este cacharro?he can't keep a jobquédese (con) el cambioyou can keep the bookes incapaz de mantener or conservar un trabajokeep it, I don't need itpuedes quedarte (con) el librohe kept his mental faculties to the endquédate con él or quédatelo, no lo necesitoshe's kept her looksconservó sus facultades mentales hasta el finalyou can keep your lousy job! [colloquial]se ha conservado bienno ha perdido su atractivocan you keep the number in your head?¡se puede guardar su porquería de trabajo!1.2 (to look after, to reserve) Ver ejemplos:to keep something (¿puedes retener el número?
forsomebody) could you keep my place for a moment?they kept his job for him¿me podrías guardar el sitio un momento?le guardaron el puestoOraciones de ejemplo
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Twenty or so acres can be useful for keeping horses or ponies and does carry a certain prestige.
- It is an active farm which keeps sheep, goats and pigs and produces cork and honey.
- The animal bones indicated that large quantities of sheep were kept, with some cattle and pig.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- I had trouble keeping my balance because I had an open soda pop can in my hands so I had to go slower.
- He is having trouble keeping his charges' attention while she bobs and weaves in the background.
- The office has also had trouble keeping multicultural admissions officers more than two years.
- It seems people love to hoard them and keep them for the future.
- She added that the 150000 that was set aside in the estimates should be kept in reserve for phase two.
- Some messages are important and need to be kept for future reference.
- 2 2.1(to store, to put customarily)where do you keep the coffee?keep in a cool place¿dónde guardas or tienes el café?2.2conservar en lugar fresco(to have available)I like to keep a first-aid kit in the car2.3 we keep several kinds of teame gusta tener un botiquín en el cochetenemos or vendemos varios tipos de téOraciones de ejemplo
- Frustratingly for the family it was the first time they had stored the bikes inside the shed after previously keeping them inside the house.
- The other guys in your unit keep pinching your bike for odd jobs throughout the day, and you wouldn't mind keeping it stored underneath a desk.
- A second briefcase was kept under the White House in a secret bunker in case of nuclear attack.
- 3 3.1 keep some for later3.2guarda or deja algo para después(to preserve)Oraciones de ejemplo
- This product does not keep, and is mainly produced in the autumn and winter.
- The nice thing about ginger is that it keeps well.
- Pasta will keep for months in the cupboard.
- 4 4.1(to manage) (stall/shop/guesthouse)4.2(to raise) (pigs/chickens/bees)4.3(to have) (servants)Oraciones de ejemplo
- Little Nell Trent lives in the gloomy atmosphere of the old curiosity shop kept by her grandfather, whom she tends with devotion.
- Jeremy had often told her that her father had been a merchant who kept shop near the barracks.
- Roger, of course, would rather take care of her and keep the shop, but puts on a cheerful face.
- 5 5.1(to support) (family/household)he keeps a mistresscan you keep her in the manner o style to which she is accustomed?mantiene a una amanteit costs me a fortune to keep them in clothes¿puedes darle la vida a la que está acostumbrada?I hardly make enough to keep myself in cigarettesme cuesta una fortuna vestirlos5.2 (to protect) [archaic]apenas si saco para mis cigarrillosOraciones de ejemplo5.3 (to maintain) Ver ejemplos: she keeps a diary
I've kept a note o record of everythingescribe or lleva un diariohe tomado nota de todolo tengo todo anotadoOraciones de ejemplo
- We would do anything to keep them from danger.
- Traditional values are so perverted by slavery that Sethe is driven to murder her own daughter to keep her from slavery's horrors.
- You gave him a good life and kept him from pain.
- All the families of the O'Reilly's Club kept a player each in their home, cooked for them and looked after them well.
- It describes a man who has done everything he possibly can to save his job and keep his family in the way that they have expected to live.
- Mrs. Brown had been unable to keep her children and had given her two little girls away.
- 6 6.1(to cause to remain, to continue)I kept dinner hot for himtry and keep it clean/tidyle mantuve la cena calientekeep her informedtrata de mantenerlo limpio/ordenadothe noise kept me awakemanténla al tantokeep him awakeel ruido no me dejó dormirto keep somebody/somethingmanténlo despiertono dejes que se duerma
-ingto keep somebody guessingkeep your letters comingtener a alguien en ascuashe kept the engine runningsigan enviando cartasI'm sorry to have kept you waitingmantuvo el motor en marchatry and keep him talkingsiento haberlo hecho esperar or haberlo tenido esperando6.2 (to detain) Ver ejemplos: don't let me keep youprocura que siga hablandowhat kept you?no te quiero entretenershe was kept in hospital¿por qué tardaste?¿qué te retuvo?they kept me at the police station for hoursla dejaron ingresada or (in Southern Cone, Mexico also) internadathe teacher kept me after schoolme tuvieron horas en la comisaríala maestra me hizo quedar después de clase or me dejó castigadoOraciones de ejemplo
Oraciones de ejemplo
- His condition became so bad he had to be kept alive on a ventilator.
- The continuing cold weather has kept mildew levels very low.
- The miracle of modern medicine may keep a loved one alive despite a terminal condition.
- You must be quick, and not keep me long.
- ‘I don't want to keep you,’ she apologized. ‘Guess you'd best get outside.’
- She smiled graciously and said, ‘I mustn't keep you’ and she was gone.
- 7(to adhere to) (promise/vow)he kept his wordshe didn't keep the appointmentcumplió su palabrano faltó a su palabrafaltó a la citaOraciones de ejemplo
Oraciones de ejemplo
- ‘This is about keeping a commitment, delivering promises and being true to our convictions,’ he said.
- However, if he also keeps the commitment to buy new helicopters from Eurocopter, this will mean that in a couple of years Bulgaria will have 36 machines.
- It also results from engineers being conscientious people who are serious about keeping their commitments.
- Every week religious Jews observe the Sabbath, the Jewish holy day, and keep its laws and customs.
- Such a man obeys my commands and carefully keeps my laws.
- Our experience in Ireland is that the only thing that really works in terms of drivers keeping the law is fear.
- 8(to observe, to celebrate)(Religion)Oraciones de ejemplo
- They were once so numerous that the town kept the feast of St Crispin on October 25, patron saint of cobblers.
- Not once in the New Testament are we told to keep the Sabbath.
- Some kept all the Holy Days and some kept only Passover.
intransitive verb past tense & past participle kept
- 1(to stay, to remain)to keep fitmantenerseto keep awakemantenerse en forma or en buen estado físicocan't you keep quiet?mantenerse despiertono dormirsekeep still!¿no te puedes estar callado?it's important to keep calm¡estáte quieto! or ¡quédate quieto!keep calm! he kept silentes importante mantener la calmait will keep fresh for several daysno dijo nadaguardó silencio [literary]se mantiene fresco unos cuantos días
- 2 2.1(to continue)keep on this roadkeep left/rightsiga por esta carreterato keepsiga por la izquierda/derecha
-ingkeep talking/runningseguir + gerundyou have to keep tryingsigue hablando/corriendowe should have just kept goingtienes que seguir intentándolo2.2 (repeatedly) Ver ejemplos: she keeps hitting medeberíamos haber seguido (adelante)he keeps interferingsiempre me está pegandono deja de pegarmeI keep thinking it's Tuesday todayestá continuamente entrometiéndoseno deja de entrometerseI keep forgetting to bring itme ha dado por pensar que hoy es martesnunca me acuerdo or siempre me olvido de traerlo
- 3 3.1(food)it won't keep in this heatconservarse (fresco)this cake will keep for several monthsno se va a conservar (fresco) or se va a echar a perder con este calor3.2este pastel se conserva or se puede guardar muchos meses(news/matter)I have something to tell you — will it keep till later?3.3 (to be in certain state of health) [colloquial]how are you keeping?tengo algo que decirte — ¿puede esperar a más tarde?I hope she's keeping well¿qué tal estás? [colloquial]espero que siga or esté or ande bienOraciones de ejemplo
- For a man who spends so much time in the gym and out on the golf course, he contrives to keep remarkably poor health.
- My mother did not keep very good health, so we had a charwoman who came in to do the cleaning.
- We have all been keeping well.
Verbos con partícula
- 1verb + preposition + object (persevere with) Ver ejemplos: to keep at it
- 1verb + adverbto keep away (
- 1verb + adverbkeep back! to keep back
- 1verb + adverb
- 1verb + object + preposition + object 1.1 (restrain, prevent) Ver ejemplos: to keep somebody from somethingI don't want to keep you from your work
- 1verb + object + adverb, verb + adverb + object 1.1 (detain) Ver ejemplos: the teacher kept me in after school
- [colloquial]you have to keep in with the teacher/boss
- 1verb + adverb (stay away) Ver ejemplos: keep off the rain kept off
- 1verb + adverb 1.1
- 1verb + adverb (not enter)to keep out (
- 1verb + adverb + preposition + object 1.1 (stay away from) Ver ejemplos: please keep out of mischief keep out of my life!
- 1verb + preposition + object 1.1
- 1verb + adverb 1.1
- 1verb + adverb 1.1 (maintain pace, remain level)to keep up (
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Ayuda gramatical y de uso para el español:
Muy popular en EE. UU.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
Muy popular en India
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
In Spain, a geographical, social, and culturally homogeneous region, with a clear natural or administrative demarcation is called a comarca. Comarcas are normally smaller than