intransitive verb past tense & past participle leaned or (in British English also) leant Pronunciación: / lent /
- 1.1 (bend, incline) Ver ejemplos: the tower leans to the leftshe leaned back in her chairla torre está inclinada hacia la izquierdato lean forwardse echó hacia atrás or se reclinó en la silladon't lean out of the windowinclinarse hacia adelante→ backward 2 1 1.2 (support oneself)no te asomes por la ventanato leanapoyarse
againstsomethinghe was leaning (up) against a wallapoyarse contraalgoshe leaned with her full weight against the doorestaba apoyado or se apoyaba contra la paredto leanse echó sobre la puerta con todo su peso onsomething/somebodyshe leaned on the deskapoyarse enalgo/alguiense apoyó en el escritorioOraciones de ejemplo1.3 (tend, incline)to lean
- He leans his elbow on the desk and rests his forehead in his hand, sighing.
- ‘I think I've gotten too much information tonight,’ he groaned, leaning his elbows on his knees and resting his chin in one hand.
- She leaned her elbows on the windowsill, resting her chin in her hands.
to/ towardsomethingthe party leans to the leftthey appear to be leaning toward a more conciliatory approachel partido es de tendencia izquierdistaparecería que se inclinan por un enfoque más conciliadorOraciones de ejemplo
- He leaned forward and pointed to a list of five names on the second page in the folder.
- She leaned forward onto her elbows and buried her face in her arms, weeping bitterly.
- Carolyn leaned forward in her plush seat as the large house came into the view at the end of the long drive.
transitive verb past tense & past participle leaned or (in British English also) leant Pronunciación: / lent /
Verbos con partícula
- 1verb + adverb
- 1verb + adverb
- 1.1 (put pressure on)
- 1(animal)lean mixture (of fuel and air)a leaner, more efficient companymezcla (feminine) con una alta proporción de airea lean prose styleuna compañía más eficiente con menos personaluna prosa escuetaOraciones de ejemplo
- He was more lean than muscular, though not out of shape.
- I would like to start with the popular story of the fat dog and the lean wolf, which was in circulation during my student days in Sambalpur in Orissa in the late 1970s.
- He was lean and wiry, but muscled, and there was strength in him.
- 2(meat)sin grasaOraciones de ejemplo
- The lean meat was cut in slivers, arranged on crisp falafel cake, and crowned with a spoonful of tangy green-pepper relish.
- For low-fat meats, choose lean cuts of meat and trim away as much visible fat as possible…
- Look for lean cuts of these meats with minimal visible fat.
- 3 (poor)(winter)the lean years that followed the warlos años de escasez or de vacas flacas que siguieron a la guerraOraciones de ejemplo
- If you can survive it through the lean years, then you'll be OK later.
- Throughout the lean years of the depression, Smith was never out of work.
- I think it is important for you to share with children how things were in the lean years of your family.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en EE. UU.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
Muy popular en India
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
In Spain, a geographical, social, and culturally homogeneous region, with a clear natural or administrative demarcation is called a comarca. Comarcas are normally smaller than