- 1 1.1 (go away from) Ver ejemplos: she leaves home/the office at 6what time did you leave their house?sale de casa/la oficina a las 6the plane left Rome at 10¿a qué hora te fuiste or (especially Spain) te marchaste de su casa?I left her reading a bookel avión salió de Roma a las 10may I leave the table?la dejé leyendo un libromay I leave the room? [euphemistic]¿puedo levantarme de la mesa?what are you going to do when you leave school?¿puedo ir al baño?he left school at 16¿qué vas a hacer cuando termines el colegio?she left home at the age of 17dejó or abandonó los estudios a los 16 añosshe's left that addressse fue de casa a los 17 añoshe never left her sideya no vive ahíthe train left the railsno se apartó de su lado en ningún momento1.2 (withdraw from)el tren descarriló(profession/organization/politics)to leave something
forsomethingdejar algo poralgoOraciones de ejemplo
- Robin leaves the School in the autumn after sixteen years to retire in South West France, with his wife, Verna.
- Yup, they are singing my praises now that I am leaving high school and going to college.
- After leaving primary school he went to Norwood College, a public school at Sedbergh not far from Kendal.
- 2 (abandon)(wife/family)she left her husband for another manI left the car and continued on footdejó a su marido por otro (hombre)he was left for dead they left him to die in the desertdejé el coche y continué a pielo abandonaron a su suerte en el desiertoOraciones de ejemplo
- Fathers prefer boys to such an extent that if they only had girls, they were more likely to leave their wife or partner.
- Worse, eight out of ten find a PC failure more stressful than being left by their partner.
- One woman phoned us to say she would leave but her partner threatened to do to her what he did to his wife if she did.
- 3 3.1 (deposit in specified place) I'm sure I left it on the tableshe left the child with her motherestoy segura de que lo dejé sobre la mesaleave your key at receptiondejó al niño con su madre3.2 (leave behind for somebody) would you like to leave a message?deje la llave en recepciónto leave something¿quiere dejar un recado?
forsomebodyI left a note for himdejarle algo aalguienI left my card with his secretaryle dejé una notale dejé mi tarjeta a su secretariaOraciones de ejemplo3.3 (not take) 3.4 (forget)
I left my money at home!olvidarse dedejarse [colloquial]¡dejé el dinero en casa!Oraciones de ejemplo3.5 (not eat)
- He was further outraged when he found the bag, left by refuse collectors, had no air holes in it.
- Right, I leave myself notes in the text bit of my phone if I've not got a notepad with me.
- Steve's tears were gone by the time he fell asleep, and Jude broke her calm for only a second to leave herself a mental note.
(food)if you don't like it, leave itsi no te gusta, déjalo
- You must go online or risk being left behind in the Internet Age, they are warned.
- The independent sector was not left behind in the celebration of new heights being reached yesterday.
- Since she was young, it may be that both ovaries were left behind at the time of hysterectomy.
- 4 4.1 (allow, cause to remain) leave it in the oven a little longeryou left the phone off the hookdéjalo en el horno un poco másplease leave the window open/door closeddejaste el teléfono descolgadoshe leaves her things all over the placepor favor dejen la ventana abierta/la puerta cerradahe left me waiting there for an hourdeja or va dejando sus cosas por todas partesshe left her meal untouchedme tuvo ahí una hora esperandothey left the work half finishedno probó la comidasome things are better left unsaiddejaron el trabajo a medio hacerlet's leave it at that for nowes mejor callar or no decir ciertas cosaswhere did we leave things last time we talked?dejémoslo así por ahora4.2 (cause to be, have) it left me/I was left with nothing to do¿en qué quedamos la última vez que hablamos?me dejó/me quedé sin nada que hacerOraciones de ejemplo
Oraciones de ejemplo
- I am not sure if the position we are left with here truly counts as being a religious one or not.
- She was left with terrible injuries.
- The psychiatrist says there is nothing he can do and the carer is left with no avenue open to him but to keep on caring the best way he can.
- Additionally, if you leave an empty non-stick pan on a hot burner too long, you can roast the surface.
- More commonly some material is left behind and only when it is removed surgically will bleeding cease.
- 5 5.1 (have as aftereffect)(stain/scar)she left a bad impression on himthe hurricane left a trail of devastationle causó (una) mala impresión5.2 (as evidence, sign)el huracán dejó la mayor desolación a su pasoOraciones de ejemplo
- We concentrate on phosphorus as the nutrient that is biolimiting on geological time scales and potentially leaves a complete geological record.
- The fourth walking appendage usually leaves the most lasting trace.
- It chews its feet throughout the interview, leaving a damp doggy stain on the carpet.
- 6 6.1 (not attend to, postpone) leave the dishes for later6.2 (not disturb or interfere) leave me alone/in peace!deja los platos para más tardeI was about to start cooking — I'll leave you to it, then¡déjame tranquilo/en paz!I didn't want to interfere, so I left them to itiba a ponerme a cocinar — bueno, pues te dejoI'll leave you to your bookno quise meterme, así que dejé que se las arreglaran or se las compusieran solosto leave something/somebody to +te dejo con tu libro
infinitiveleave her to finish on her owndejar algo/a alguien + infinitiveor que+ subjunctive→ alone 1 1 2déjala terminar or que termine solaOraciones de ejemplo
Oraciones de ejemplo
- She got over it with tickles and biscuits, then strolled out into the garden, leaving me to deal with a spider the size of a cricket ball on the carpet in the lounge.
- Teen years leave you to deal with a whole new choice of decisions to be made.
- How dare he leave me to deal with everything, including his death, while I have to stay stuck in this body?
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Any sum that happens to be left over when a child reaches maturity is not liable to tax.
- The four cards that are left over at the end of the deal are set aside until the end of the hand.
- This compromise gives more certainty that more money will be left over for residents in the two areas.
- It is is irrelevant to his day job as party leader and I think he could have left it to someone else.
- The article leaves it to the imagination how exactly the leftover bees in the cavity are to be killed.
- But there is nothing inconsistent about leaving it to the states and not overturning the decision.
- 7 7.1 (entrust)to leave something
tosomebody/somethingI always leave the driving to someone elseleave it to me!siempre dejo que otro maneje or (Spain) conduzcaI'll leave it up to you to choose the color¡déjalo por mi cuenta!now it is left to them to take the leadte dejo a ti la elección del colorel color corre por tu cuentawe must leave nothing to chanceahora les toca a ellos tomar la iniciativa7.2 (allow, cause somebody to do) the teacher left us with a lot to dono debemos dejar nada (librado) al azarhe left us with all the cleaning to doel profesor nos dejó mucho trabajoto leave somebody to +nos dejó toda la limpieza a nosotros infinitivehe left his secretary to make the arrangementsdejar quealguien + subjunctivedejó que su secretaria hiciera los preparativos
- 8 8.1 (Mathematics)6 from 10 leaves 48.2 (after deduction, elimination) Ver ejemplos: that only leaves you and mesi a 10 le quitamos 6, quedan 4there's only me left at homecon eso solo quedamos tú y yoto be left there isn't much food/money/time leften casa solo quedo yohow much money/time do I/we have left?no queda mucha comida/mucho dinero/mucho tiempoto leave much/a lot to be desired¿cuánto dinero/tiempo me/nos queda?8.3 (make available) leave a spacedejar mucho/bastante que desearleave some cake for medeja un espacioI was left with only $200déjame un poco de pastelyou leave me no alternative but to resignme quedaron solo 200 dólaresthere's nothing left for it but to give inno me deja otra alternativa que dimitirno queda más remedio que ceder
- 9 9.1 (bequeath) Ver ejemplos:to leave something
tosomebody/something(money/property)9.2 (after bereavement) he leaves a wife and two sonsdejar(le) algo aalguien/algodeja esposa y dos hijosOraciones de ejemplo
- If at the time of her death, a widow leaves no eligible minor child, the payment of her share of the pension will cease.
- As well as her parents and sister, she leaves a niece Kim and nephew Josh.
- He leaves wife Norma, children Lee, Jesse and Caitlin, and grandkids Mathew, Jordon, Jamie and Emma.
- we'll leave when the rain stopsirsemarcharse (especially Spain)the train/plane leaves at 5 o'clocknos iremos cuando pare de lloverto leaveel tren/avión sale a las 5 en punto
forsomethinghe's already left for the airportsalir paraalgoya ha salido para el aeropuertoOraciones de ejemplo
- As they came to the end of their set they left the Academy to masses of cheers.
- A young college teacher leaves China for the United States in search of a better future.
- An engineering locomotive came off the tracks as it was leaving Chiswick Park Station just after midnight on Saturday morning.
Verbos con partícula
- 1.1 (not take or bring) 1.2 (forget)
- 1verb + adverb, verb + preposition + object (discontinue) I just carried on where she had left off
- 1verb + object + adverb, verb + adverb + object, verb + object + adverb (+ preposition + object) 1.1 (omit) she left out all reference to her mother
- tomorrow we can eat what's left over
- 1 uncountable and countable (authorized absence) he asked for one year's leave of absencematernity/paternity leavepidió un año de permiso or (especially Latin America) de licencia or (Spain) de excedenciato take a week's leavepermiso ( or licencia etc) por maternidad/paternidadto be/go on leavetomarse una semana de permiso or (especially Latin America) de licenciaestar/salir de permiso or (especially Latin America) de licenciaOraciones de ejemplo
- Requests for consecutive years of leave of absence shall be for the reasons provided in this policy.
- You are not allowed to enroll full-time in another university while on a leave of absence from Duke.
- Full-time officers of research may take leaves of absence according to the policies described below.
- 2 uncountable (permission) [formal] she begged leave to speakwithout so much as a by your leave [colloquial]pidió la palabrapidió licencia or la venia para hablar [formal]sin ni siquiera pedir permisoOraciones de ejemplo
- The applicant seeks leave to appeal from a decision of the Full Court of the Federal Court.
- It is against that dismissal that the applicant seeks leave to appeal to this Court.
- I also seek leave to file in Court and read an affidavit sworn today.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en EE. UU.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
Muy popular en Malasia
Muy popular en Pakistán
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Carnaval is the three days of festivities preceding Lent, characterized by costumes, masks, drinking, music, and dancing.