noun plural menPronunciación: /men/
- 1 1.1 (adult male) four men and five womencuatro hombres y cinco mujeressay thank you to the nice mandale las gracias a ese señor tan amableI pronounce you man and wifelos declaro marido y mujerher new mansu nueva pareja ( or su nuevo compañero etc)a young manun jovenher young man [dated]su noviosu galán [dated]he's a man's mantiene intereses típicamente masculinosI don't feel half the man I used toya no soy lo que eratake it like a man!¡aguanta como un hombre!we'll make a man of youharemos de ti un hombrehe was man enough to admit his errorfue lo bastante hombre como para admitir su errorif you've got the patience to deal with him, you're a better man than I amsi no pierdes la paciencia con él, te admiroin the West, where men were menen el Oeste, donde los hombres eran hombres de verdadhe's an influential manes una persona or un hombre influyenteyou're a lucky mantú sí que tienes suertehe's a sick manestá muy enfermoI feel a new manme siento como nuevodon't listen to him: the man's a foolno le hagas caso: es un estúpidohe's the man to askes a él a quien hay que preguntar(le)the police think he's their manla policía cree que es la persona que andan buscandohere's the man who can tell youaquí está la persona que te lo puede decirit's a man's world!¡el mundo es de los hombres!a man's gotta do what a man's gotta doun hombre tiene que cumplir con su deberare you a man or a mouse?¿eres hombre o gallina?to be low man on the totem pole (American English)ser el último mono [colloquial]ser el último orejón del tarro (River Plate area) [colloquial]to be one's own manser independienteir por libre (Spain) [colloquial]to separate o (British English also) sort out the men from the boysser una verdadera prueba de fuegothe initial training separates the men from the boysel entrenamiento inicial es una verdadera prueba de fuegoOraciones de ejemplo
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Back on the promenade, I saw a man and a boy trying to fly a kite down on the beach.
- Last week I was talking to a man at the bar of the Hilton hotel at Addis Ababa.
- An Estonian man suspected of plundering millions from hundreds of online bank accounts accounts across Europe was arrested last week.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Maybe, none of the earlier relationships had worked out because Rohan was destined to be her man.
- It brought out the woman in me and the man in my man.
- I don't have a problem with women hitting on my man… why wouldn't they?
Oraciones de ejemplo1.2 (type) he's not a man for the quiet life
- He's more of a man than you'll ever be.
- Ironically, her initial portrayal in the show, as more of a man than the men in her Cabinet, may have added to her myth.
- But Don's the quintessential quiet guy who must overcome his cowardice and be a man.
no es de las personas a las que les gusta la vida tranquilahe's the right/wrong man for the jobes/no es la persona indicada para el puestohe's a Harvard manestudió en HarvardI was a Nixon man in '68era partidario de Nixon en 1968he's a local/Boston manes del lugar/de Bostonhe's a family manes un padre de familiaI'm a vodka man myselfyo personalmente prefiero el vodkahe's the best transplant man in the business [colloquial]es el mejor especialista en trasplantesa man of the worldun hombre de mundothe man in the streetel hombre de la callethe man of the match (British English)
- As soon as we established that Elener was a former Securicor employee, we were fairly sure he was our man.
- Hugh Miller is convinced that Loring is his man, but he can't find any concrete evidence.
- Bounty hunters can use almost any tool at their disposal to find and capture their man.
el ciudadano medio or de a pieel mejor jugadorman of God(Protestant) pastor (masculine)(Catholic) sacerdote (masculine)man of lettersOraciones de ejemplo
- My father was a trade union man who always had his rosary in his pocket.
- Advocate and author John Mayer looks every inch the rock solid establishment man.
- A battle for power between a union man and an intellectual is looming at Salford town hall.
- 2 2.1 (person) a twelve-man crewuna tripulación de doce personas or hombresman for man, our team was better than theirs no man has the right to take life [formal]nadie or ningún ser humano tiene derecho a matarit was as much as any man could bear [formal]lindaba con lo humanamente insoportableevery man for himself as one mancomo un solo hombreevery man jack (of you/them)todo el mundoto a manthey're loyal citizens to a mantodos ellos (sin excepción) son ciudadanos leales2.2also: Man(mankind) (no article) man shall not live by bread alone Neanderthal Manel hombre de Neandertalman proposes, God disposesOraciones de ejemplo
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Perhaps it may be said that civilization is about to enter the age of the decline of man.
- Genesis in fact hints that there was evil present in the world before the fall of man.
- None the less, equality in the eyes of God laid the foundations for equality in the eyes of man and before the law.
- This is the town which surprised the world with an archeological find in 1921 that came to be known as the Broken Hill Man.
- 3 3.1 (representative, employee) our man in Caironuestro representante ( or corresponsal or agente etc) en el Cairohe's the PR man for Acme UKes el encargado de relaciones públicas en Acme UKDubois plays a crooked real estate manDubois hace el papel de un agente inmobiliario deshonestoOraciones de ejemplo3.2 (manservant) [dated]
- A man short, his team mates survived to the end of extra time but lost the penalty shootout.
- If they receive two yellow cards a player will be withdrawn from the game, restricting the team to 10 men.
- But gone are the days when Shankly's men would blast teams away and dominate our domestic game.
- 4also: men plural(troops, team, employees) officers and menlos oficiales y los soldados or la tropathe captain and his men (Sport)el capitán y su equipothe men won't accept less than 5%los trabajadores no aceptarán menos de un 5%Oraciones de ejemplo
- My dad was in the air force, and he spoke about the inequalities he saw between the officers and ordinary men.
- Orders were made as suggestions and officers and men were on first-name terms.
- No commander wants to see his men die in combat but knows that casualties are a part of war.
- 6 (as form of address) [colloquial]give me a break, man!¡déjame en paz, quieres!
¡déjame en paz, tío! (Spain) [colloquial]
¡déjame en paz, mano! (Latin America exc Southern Cone) [colloquial]
¡dejáme en paz, che! (River Plate area) [colloquial]
¡déjame en paz, gallo! (Chile) [colloquial]
transitive verb -nn-
- 1 1.1 (operate)(switchboard/assembly line)the inquiry desk is manned at all times
encargarse or ocuparse deel mostrador de informaciones está atendido a toda horaOraciones de ejemplo1.2 (get ready to operate) man the cannons!
¡a los cañones!man the battlements!¡cubran las almenas!
- The centre is manned by fully trained technical personnel and all calls are recorded and logged to track and maintain a high service level.
- It is believed passengers have been queueing up to two hours in Terminal 1 because only one of five X-ray machines was manned due to staffing problems.
- Trained volunteers will be manning the call centre to offer independent and confidential information and support to people experiencing difficulties.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda