transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1 (possess) [property] tener*, ser* dueño de, poseer* [formal] they own all the surrounding land son dueños de todas las tierras de alrededor she owns several houses in the area es dueña de or [formal] posee varias casas en la zona do you own the house? ¿la casa es tuya? she acts as if she owns the place se comporta como si fuera la dueña y señora del lugar the boat is partly owned by the school el barco pertenece en parte a la escuela I own six pairs of shoes tengo seis pares de zapatosMás ejemplos en oraciones
- You never nurse the slightest notion of ever owning those clothes.
- His parents live in Kolkata; his father owns a portrait photo studio and his mother is a floral stylist.
- Her father, who owns a bank, is reputed to be the wealthiest man in Spain.
- 2 (admit) [formal] reconocer*, admitir I'll own that I was mistaken reconozco que estaba equivocadoMás ejemplos en oraciones
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Hume was quite well aware that Berkeley would not have owned to being a sceptic.
- A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong,
- Own your anger by expressing it with "I" statements: "I really get mad when you leave dirty dishes in the sink."
- Just because you're scared of something now doesn't mean you won't own your fear in days to come.
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
- my/her/your etc own she's started her own business ha montado un negocio propio in our own house en nuestra propia casa I saw it with my (very) own eyes lo vi con mis propios ojos I'd like to have my own room me gustaría tener una habitación para mí sola she makes her own clothes se hace la ropa ella misma it's all my own work lo hice todo yo I'll find my own way out no hace falta que me acompañe hasta la salida
- my/her/your etc own it isn't a company car: it's her own no es un coche de la empresa, es suyo (propio) they looked after the baby as if he was their own cuidaron del niño como si fuera suyo I want to keep it for my (very) own lo quiero para mí solo she wanted a room of her (very) own quería una habitación para ella sola she has enough work of her own without helping you too tiene bastante trabajo propio como para estar ayudándote a ti for reasons of her own por razones particulares Florence has a charm all (of) its own Florencia tiene un encanto muy particular on one's own solo don't leave the children on their own no dejes a los niños solos he can't climb the stairs on his own no puede subir las escaleras (por sí) solo she runs the office on her own lleva la oficina ella sola I can't handle three kids on my own yo sola no puedo con tres niños you're on your own from now on de ahora en adelante te las arreglarás por tu cuenta to call sth one's own I can't call my house my own these days me tienen invadida la casa últimamente I don't have a moment to call my own no tengo ni un minuto para mí to come into one's own a washing machine comes into its own when you have children cuando tienes niños te das cuenta de lo que vale una lavadora she really comes into her own in the final act en el último acto es cuando verdaderamente se luce to get one's own back [colloquial/familiar] desquitarse I can't wait to get my own back on him no veo el momento de desquitarme or de hacérselas pagar to hold one's own saber* defenderse
Verbos con partícula
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
In Spain, pinchos are small portions of food, often on a cocktail stick, eaten in a bar or cafe. Often free, they are similar to