Traducción de resist en español:
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1.1 (fight against) [attack/enemy] resistir; [change/plan] oponer* resistencia a the window resisted all attempts to open it la ventana resistió todos los intentos de abrirlaExample sentences1.2 (not give way to) [temptation] resistir I had to buy it, I couldn't resist it tuve que comprarlo, no me pude resistir she found him hard to resist le costaba resistirse a sus encantos I can't resist chocolate el chocolate me vuelve loco to resist
- In fact, if that's the motive of the government, them I think we've just identified the best argument for resisting the abolition of jury trials for fraud.
- Posters carrying the message ‘Prevent torture, resist torture and help victims of torture’ will be circulated.
- Such an argument resists many of the typical counter-arguments directed at potentiality as an ethical consideration in the abortion debate.
-ingresistirse a+ infinitive/infinitivoI couldn't resist telling her no pude resistirme a decírselo, no pude aguantar las ganas de decírseloExample sentences1.3 (withstand, endure) [heat/cold/corrosion] resistir
- There aren't many who could resist the tempting creations and I thought it was only correct to sample the goodies.
- Those who are growing old may be unwise to try to resist these pressures.
- The girl gritted her teeth distastefully and resisted the tempting urge to spit at the man.
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
- 1.1 (fight, oppose) [troops] resistir, oponer* resistencia she wanted to make changes, but the board resisted quería introducir cambios pero la junta se resistía or se oponía 1.2 (not give way) resistirse, contenerse*Example sentences
- Gyroscopes create their own force through spinning, thereby resisting the effects of gravity.
- It strengthens the lungs to resist the effects of sudden changes in the air, and it healthfully braces and invigorates the chest.
- Some have acquired an armoury of genes which help them attach to cells, invade and damage tissue, colonise hosts, evade the immune system, and resist the effects of antibiotics.
- Incredibly, the woman resisted and there was struggle between the two before the robber kneed the victim hard in the stomach and ripped the bag from her grasp.
- She didn't resist, but a fight ensued as other spectators intervened.
- Living together creates the illusion of having found adequate shelter and a feigned ability to resist in case of attack.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
The Premios Goya del cine español is the Spanish equivalent of Oscars, awarded in January every year by the AACC (Academia de las Artes y las Ciencias Cinematográficas de España). The winners receive a bust of the painter Goya.