- 1 uncountable (substance) igneous/volcanic rockroca ígnea/volcánicaa great lump of rockuna roca enormehewn from the rocktallado en la roca vivaas hard as rockduro como una piedraOraciones de ejemplo
- A main types of mineral phosphate, soft rock phosphate comes mostly from ancient sea deposits.
- Karst landscapes are developed wherever soluble carbonate rocks outcrop and where surplus rainfall is available to dissolve the limestone.
- The cave offers an in-depth view of the immense layers of limestone rock formed by the sedimented shells.
- 2 countable 2.1 (crag, cliff) my wife was like a rock throughout that timemi esposa fue mi puntal durante toda esa épocathe Rock (of Gibraltar)el Peñón (de Gibraltar)as solid as a rockfirme or sólido como una roca2.2 (in sea) the ship ran onto the rocksel barco encalló en las rocason the rocksScotch on the rockswhisky con hielotheir marriage is on the rockssu matrimonio anda muy malthe business went on the rocks when she leftel negocio se fue a pique cuando ella se fueOraciones de ejemplo2.3 (boulder) danger falling rocks
desprendimiento de rocas
- Of course they have to break out of jail, and the posse who is hot on their tail gets turned back by a sniper in the rocks above.
- At the centre of the building is a courtyard; in fact, the original patch of trees, rocks and earth that was here from the very start.
- More than half of Mandela's sentence was spent on Robben Island, a windswept rock surrounded by the treacherous seas of the Cape of Good Hope.
zona de derrumbeOraciones de ejemplo2.4 (stone) to throw rocks
tirar piedrasto get one's rocks off (American English) [slang] to have rocks in one's head (American English) [slang]faltarle a alguien un tornilloOraciones de ejemplo
- Should he have intervened, therefore preventing David's death, or did he do the right thing by just staying behind the rocks?
- He lies on a rock, a mountain looming above him and his naked body partially covered by a white dress.
- It was so clearly identifiable as his work from the outset that I kept expecting either Ricardo Montalban or Kate Winslet to pop out from behind a rock.
- Tiger also faced abuse at the hands of grade school classmates, who once even tied him to a tree and threw rocks at him.
- The film has one of cinema's most beautiful uses of an open exterior, when the husband throws a rock towards the nuclear plant just after dusk.
- If you must ripple the pond, throw a small rock first and pay careful attention.
- 1 (gently)mecersethe boat rocked gently on the waves
balancearseel barco se mecía suavemente en las olasOraciones de ejemplo
- I think I spent a week in a row rocking him to sleep, just speaking it over.
- She rocked herself to and fro, and the tears gathered in her eyes and slowly trickled down her cheeks.
- He rocked his body at the mike, rolled his eyes, pulled back his lips in elegant disdain, and finished each sentence with a sensual guttural trail.
- 2 (violently)(building/ground)to rock with laughter
estremecerseOraciones de ejemplo
- He is awake in the middle of the night and he feels as if the hotel is being rocked by an earthquake.
- An explosion rocks downtown London and shuts down the city.
- Both films take place in the aftermath of the devastating earthquake that rocked northern Iran in 1990, killing nearly 50,000 people.
- 3 (Music)rocanrolear
bailar rockOraciones de ejemplo
- While my musical strength may be in the Classical realm, I also know that Little Richard really rocked in his day.
- In this case, the screen was bigger, the score was louder and the crowd was rocking.
- If the crowd is not rocking to this one beat, you gotta get it out and get the next record in.
- uncountable (music) heavy/soft rockrock duro/blando(before noun) (band/singer/star/concert)
rockOraciones de ejemplo
- My dad had booked a special reunion concert by 80s rock legends, Dire Straits.
- We were all squealing like kids at a rock concert.
- He had organised a rock concert to coincide with one of the city's major sporting events.
Verbos con partícula
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
= de moda