Traducción de say en español:
transitive verb present says past tense & past participle said
- 1(utter, express in speech) (word/sentence/mass)
decir(prayer)to say good morning to somebody
rezardarle los buenos días a alguienI said yes/nodije que sí/nohe said yes/no to my proposalaceptó/rechazó mi propuestago away, she said—vete —dijohe didn't say a word throughout the whole meetingno dijo ni una palabra or [colloquial] ni pío durante toda la reuniónwell said!¡bien dicho!now, say after me: I, Paul Hurst, …ahora repita conmigo: yo, Paul Hurst, …to say something
tosomebodydecirle algowhat exactly did she say to you? aalguien¿qué te dijo exactamente?so I said to myself …así que me dije …I said (that) we shouldn't have comeya decía yo que no deberíamos haber venidoI can't say I laughed muchno me reí mucho, que digamosI must say it looks very nicela verdad es que es muy bonitodon't say you forgot!¡no me digas que se te olvidó!she said (I was) to give you her loveme dijo que te diera recuerdos (de su parte)I can't say when they'll be backno sé cuándo volveránwho shall I say is calling? well, what can I say?¿y qué quieres que te diga?it was, how o what shall I say, a tricky situation if you disagree, say sosi no está de acuerdo, dígalowhy didn't you say so before? I should say so(emphatic agreement)
eso digo yo(probability)that's to say, that is to say she's very self-assured, not to say arrogant
yo diría que síes muy segura de sí misma, por no decir arroganteshe's better than he is, but that's not saying muchella es mejor que él, lo que no es mucho decirit doesn't say much for …no dice mucho de …there's a lot to be said for waitinghay muchas razones por las que bien vale la pena esperarthere's nothing more to be said!¡no hay más que decir!it will mean a lot of money, to say nothing of timesupondrá mucho dinero, y no digamos ya tiempoto say the leastcomo mínimowhat have you got to say for yourself? she hasn't a lot to say for herselfes muy sosaenough said, I'll see what I can do about itestá bien, veremos lo que se puede hacerthe less said about it, the bettercuanto menos se hable del asunto, mejorsay no moreno me digas másyou can say that again! it goes without saying that …huelga decir que …that goes without saying
ni que decir tiene que …
por supuesto que …(eso) no hay ni que decirlothough I say it myself
eso se da por sentadomodestia apartethat's easier said than done
no es por decirlodel dicho al hecho hay mucho trechono sooner said than donedicho y hechowhen all's said and done before you could say knife o Jack Robinson least said soonest mendedcuanto menos se diga, mejorOraciones de ejemplo
Oraciones de ejemplo
- All of us at some time in our lives have to stand up and say a few words in public, whether to give away a bride, move a vote of thanks or make a presentation.
- He struggled to recall clearly the words the priest had said to him almost a year earlier.
- Only now as I stood in the airport did I realise that she really had not understood a word I was saying.
- The funeral goes as planned, everyone says their speeches memorializing this woman to whom they now say goodbye forever.
- See, the difference between saying a speech in class and acting with my group is a really big one.
- Cameron had to say his speech in front of the class and he basically freaked out.
- 2 2.1(state)it said in the paper that …
decirel periódico decía or ponía que …it says nothing in the contract about overtimeel contrato no dice or no pone nada de horas extraordinariasher smile of triumph says it allsu sonrisa triunfal lo dice todo2.2(register) (watch/dial)what (time) does your watch say?
marcar¿qué hora marca tu reloj?
¿tú qué hora tienes?Oraciones de ejemplo
Oraciones de ejemplo
- The sun was still behind a mountain, but his watch said seven minutes past official sunup.
- My back was damp from the moss and my watch said four hours had passed.
- She turns and looks at her alarm clock which says eight o'clock.
- Chris, in a murder case we know the black and white letter of the law says the state does not have to prove motive.
- The text of the affidavit says that it was completed and signed by her.
- I got a text saying I had won £1000 and all I had to do was claim it by calling a number.
- 3 3.1 (suppose) [colloquial] (let's) say that …supongamos or pongamos or digamos que …say she doesn't come, then what do we do?pongamos (por caso) que no viene ¿entonces qué hacemos?shall we say tomorrow?¿qué tal mañana? [colloquial]3.2(estimate)
decirOraciones de ejemplo
- Then go find someone else in a different line of work - say, someone with a home office.
- In this system, the taoiseach would be elected for a fixed term - say, four years.
- This scheme lends itself to the use of coins as scoring tokens; say, a nickel per point perhaps.
- 4 4.1(allege)they say she jilted him
decirdicen or se dice que lo plantóit's said he'll have to resignse dice que tendrá que renunciarhe's been ill, or so he saysha estado enfermo, al menos eso es lo que dicenever say I didn't warn youluego no digas que no te aviséto be said to +
infinitiveshe's said to be very mean/strictdicen que es muy tacaña/severanever let it be said that I don't careque no se diga que no me importa4.2(decide, pronounce)that's really not for me to say
decireso no me corresponde a mí decirloOraciones de ejemplo
- The author of the report that was said to be prejudicial was called as a witness.
- They also adduced what was said to be a report from the local Meteorological Station.
- His failure, it is said, calls into question his motives in serving as a juror in the trial.
- 5 (respond to suggestion) [colloquial]what do o would you say to a cup of tea¿quieres or (especially Spain) te apetece una taza de té?that's what I think; now, what do you say?
¿qué te parece si nos tomamos un té?eso es lo que yo pienso ¿y a ti qué te parece? or ¿y tú que dices?I won't say nono te digo que noI wouldn't say no to a drinkno rechazaría una copawhat say we go halves?¿qué tal si vamos a medias? [colloquial]
- I'd rather not sayprefiero no decirloit's hard to sayes difícil decirloyou were saying?¿(qué) decías?who says osays who? [colloquial]¿quién lo dice?says you! [colloquial]¡eso es lo que tú dices!you don't say! [colloquial]¡no me digas!I say! (British English) [colloquial]I say! what a lovely dress!
¡qué me dices!¡pero qué vestido más bonito!I say, can you hear me over there?¡eh! or ¡ey! ¿me oyen ahí?
noun no plural
- 1.1 (statement of view) to have one's saydar su ( or mi etc) opiniónlet him have his say nowahora déjalo hablar1.2 (share)say (
ahora deja que dé su opinión
insomething)I have no say in the matteryo no tengo ni voz ni voto en el asuntothey want a say in the decision makingquieren participar en la toma de decisionesto have the final say (in something)tener la última palabra (en algo)Oraciones de ejemplo
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Real partnership means all participants benefit and all have a say in developments.
- Can you also explain why Industry has a say in policy development.
- Lastly, keep in mind that children like variation and to have a say in what they do.
- Listeners to radio will also be given an opportunity to have their say through phone-ins.
- Speaking as a politician at any venue is merely an opportunity for that man to have his say.
- And if you want to have your say, exchange ideas, opinions and experiences, it's the only place to be.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
= de moda