- 1 1.1 the second time he rang mela segunda vez que me llamóher second husbandsu segundo maridohe had a second cup of tease tomó otra taza de téhe's already had a second helpingya ha repetido or (Chile) se ha repetidohe won't do that a second timeno lo volverá a hacerto give somebody a second chancedarle a alguien otra oportunidadevery second Tuesday/weekcada dos martes/semanassecond generation
martes/semana por medio (Southern Cone) (Peru)segunda generación (feminine)second homesegunda vivienda (feminine)1.2 (in seniority, standing) the country's second cityla segunda ciudad del paísour service is second to nonenuestro servicio es insuperable
- 1 (in position, time, order)en segundo lugarUnited finished second to Rovers in the championshipel United quedó en segundo lugar en la clasificación después del Roverswork comes second, family firstla familia está antes que el trabajo
- 1 1.1second (gear) (Cars) (no article) 1.2 (in competition) he finished a good/poor secondquedó en un honroso/deslucido segundo lugar1.3 (British English) (University)upper/lower second(segunda y tercera nota de la escala de calificaciones de un título universitario)
- 4also: seconds plural(second helping) [colloquial]can I have seconds?¿puedo repetir or (Chile) repetirme?Oraciones de ejemplo
- Why, wait just one second… that's a gentleman on the stage!
- Everyone bought what was put in the basket without even a second's hesitation.
- In a second he was out of bed, running towards the burglar and ‘screeching’ at him to get out.
- (support)Oraciones de ejemplo
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Major supported her, and seconded her nomination for the first ballot.
- After the nomination was seconded, we voted on whether to give John a bid.
- The adoption of the plan was seconded by Councillor Richard Finn.
- Leader of the US delegation, then-Vice President Al Gore's view was seconded and reiterated by distinguished speakers from all over the world.
- That view is seconded by Robert Bryce in his book.
- All evidence pointed to it and his gut feeling seconded his view.
- 3 (of angle)Oraciones de ejemplo
- In actual numbers its resolution is about half an arc second, which is equivalent of seeing a five cent piece from about 10 kilometres away.
- For a gyroscope in polar orbit, it works out to be about 0.041 arc second per year.
- It crosses at a point 50 seconds of arc to the east of the previous year.
- (attach) (British English) to second somebody (
tosomething)trasladar a alguien temporalmente ( aalgo)Oraciones de ejemplo
- The mutual aid process, in which officers are seconded to other forces, has also come under scrutiny.
- This trend continued after Crown rule in 1858 and nearly all military engineers seconded to the Indian Army were British sapper officers.
- Reed was its national convenor, while Bone and Cook were seconded to work for the forum from their Rotherham Council jobs.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda