- 1 1.1 the second time he rang mela segunda vez que me llamóher second husbandsu segundo maridohe had a second cup of tease tomó otra taza de téhe's already had a second helpingya ha repetido or (Chile) se ha repetidohe won't do that a second timeno lo volverá a hacerto give somebody a second chancedarle a alguien otra oportunidadevery second Tuesday/weekcada dos martes/semanasmartes/semana por medio (Southern Cone) (Peru)second generationsegunda generación (feminine)second homesegunda vivienda (feminine)1.2 (in seniority, standing) the country's second cityla segunda ciudad del paísour service is second to nonenuestro servicio es insuperable
- 1 (in position, time, order)en segundo lugarUnited finished second to Rovers in the championshipel United quedó en segundo lugar en la clasificación después del Roverswork comes second, family firstla familia está antes que el trabajo
- 1 1.1second (gear) (Motor Vehicles) (no article) 1.2 (in competition) he finished a good/poor secondquedó en un honroso/deslucido segundo lugar1.3 (British) (University)upper/lower second(segunda y tercera nota de la escala de calificaciones de un título universitario)
- 4also: seconds plural(second helping) [colloquial]can I have seconds?¿puedo repetir or (Chile) repetirme?Oraciones de ejemplo
- Why, wait just one second… that's a gentleman on the stage!
- Everyone bought what was put in the basket without even a second's hesitation.
- In a second he was out of bed, running towards the burglar and ‘screeching’ at him to get out.
- (support)Oraciones de ejemplo
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Major supported her, and seconded her nomination for the first ballot.
- After the nomination was seconded, we voted on whether to give John a bid.
- The adoption of the plan was seconded by Councillor Richard Finn.
- Leader of the US delegation, then-Vice President Al Gore's view was seconded and reiterated by distinguished speakers from all over the world.
- That view is seconded by Robert Bryce in his book.
- All evidence pointed to it and his gut feeling seconded his view.
- 3 (of angle)Oraciones de ejemplo
- In actual numbers its resolution is about half an arc second, which is equivalent of seeing a five cent piece from about 10 kilometres away.
- For a gyroscope in polar orbit, it works out to be about 0.041 arc second per year.
- It crosses at a point 50 seconds of arc to the east of the previous year.
- (attach) (British) to second somebody (
tosomething)trasladar a alguien temporalmente ( aalgo)Oraciones de ejemplo
- The mutual aid process, in which officers are seconded to other forces, has also come under scrutiny.
- This trend continued after Crown rule in 1858 and nearly all military engineers seconded to the Indian Army were British sapper officers.
- Reed was its national convenor, while Bone and Cook were seconded to work for the forum from their Rotherham Council jobs.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda