- 1 countable 1.1 (of impact)(of earthquake, explosion)Oraciones de ejemplo1.2
also: electric shockI got a shockgolpe (masculine) de corrienteme dio una descarga or un golpe de corrienteme dio corrienteme dio (un) calambre
- Peeling himself off the disgusting plastic cover, Dylan shook the shock of the impact from his head and quickly regained his senses.
- They are almost certainly unsafe, as they cannot absorb the shock of an impact, even at slow speeds.
- A very simple answer would probably be to absorb the shock of impact.
- 2 2.1 uncountable (Medicine) to be in (a state of) shockthey were taken to hospital suffering from shockestar en estado de shock2.2 uncountable and countable (distress, surprise) to get a shocklos llevaron al hospital en estado de shockI nearly died of shockllevarse un shock or una impresiónthe shock of her deathpor poco me muero del shock or de la impresiónthe news came as no great shock to usel shock or el golpe de su muertehe's in for a shock when he finds outla noticia no nos sorprendió demasiadoshock, horror! (British English) [humorous]se va a llevar un shock cuando se entere(before noun) a shock announcement¡horror de horrores!un anuncio sorprendenteun bombazo [colloquial]Oraciones de ejemplo2.3 (scare) to get a shock
what a shock you gave me!llevarse un susto¡qué susto me diste or me pegaste!Oraciones de ejemplo
- Devlin caught it instantly, wearing a look of utter shock on his face.
- Sputtering, he broke the surface, a look of utter shock on his face.
- Today was… pay day… and I got the biggest shock of my life.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- It's a bit of a shock to experience the reality of the cruise liner rather than the fantasy - especially when the reality is just as fantastic in its own way.
- And so nobody else has to go through this experience and the shock initially when that happens.
- However, due to the shock of the experience and the upset caused to the young boy, the pair cut their holiday short and returned home.
- Hypovolaemic shock follows major blood loss which may be caused by trauma or during surgery.
- Contraindications to the vaccines can be as severe as allergic shock, collapse, seizures, permanent brain injury or death.
- This type of treatment must only be carried out under close supervision from a doctor because of the risk that it may cause a serious allergic reaction called anaphylactic shock.
- 3 (Cars) [colloquial] → shock absorberOraciones de ejemplo
- We just didn't have enough in the budget to fix the Charger if an axle broke or the shocks went out.
- A country with bad roads does not require ceramic engines; it needs vehicles with rugged axles and shocks.
- Improved suspension parts ranging from bushings to springs, shocks and tires make this vehicle a stand out in terms of handling and ride quality.
- 1.1 (stun, appal)(scare)he was shocked by what he sawthe country was shocked by the news of his deathquedó horrorizado or impactado or (Chile) choqueado con lo que viomy mother is easily shockedla noticia de su muerte sacudió or conmocionó al paísit shocked me into being more carefulmi madre se escandaliza or se horroriza por cualquier cosa1.2 (Medicine)to be shockedme asustó realmente y ahora tengo más cuidadosufrir un shockOraciones de ejemplo
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Implanted in the chest, the ICD is a small electronic device which shocks the heart back into a healthy rhythm if it detects an abnormal heartbeat.
- The electric current shocks the sweat glands, and they stop producing sweat temporarily.
- Patients who remain shocked after 3 litres of intravenous fluid usually have continued bleeding and require urgent laparotomy.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- She was visibly upset, and it shocked me, watching her.
- But this week, when he visited, he was shocked and deeply upset to find his beloved wife's grave had been used as a dumping ground for the earth which had been removed from a next door grave.
- We had a meeting to discuss the figures and people were shocked and surprised.
- He projected an unpretentious, open image, and his reputation for moral rectitude became a crucial asset for a nation still shocked by the Watergate scandal.
- While others were quite shocked or even offended by the waitress's behaviour, I was very amused.
- I believe that future generations will be shocked and outraged that it took us so long.
- (Agriculture)Oraciones de ejemplo
- This accumulation of the bundles in the field was a big help for the manual labor which is what it took to assemble grain shocks from all those bundles!
- The grain shocks would be off-loaded into the thrashing machines.
- The field of wheat is well in the foreground, diversified and defined by the shocks of grain to the right.
- (bushy mass) Ver ejemplos: a shock of hairuna mata de peloOraciones de ejemplo
- He is handsome, with high cheekbones, a strong chin, and a shock of thick hair, and he stares with a slight frown at something in the distance.
- He had a thick shock of dark brown hair, with a little gray peeking in around his temples and just above his ears.
- He has a shock of thick snow-blond hair that is certain to attract the others in white.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en EE. UU.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
Muy popular en India
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
ESO (Educación Secundaria Obligatoria) is one of the stages of secondary education established in Spain by the