- 1 1.1 [Anatomy/Anatomía] hombro (masculine) the dress can be worn off the shoulder(s) el vestido puede llevarse con los hombros al descubierto to have broad shoulders ser* ancho de hombros or de espaldas to shrug one's shoulders encogerse* de hombros the responsibility for it was placed entirely on his shoulders le cargaron toda la culpa that will take o lift a burden off our shoulders eso nos va a quitar un peso de encima to look over one's shoulder mirar por encima del hombro I keep feeling there's someone looking over my shoulder tengo la sensación de que me están vigilando to stand shoulder to shoulder estar* hombro con hombro we must stand shoulder to shoulder on this issue tenemos que estar codo con codo en este asunto to cry o weep on sb's shoulder desahogarse* con algn a shoulder to cry on un paño de lágrimas straight from the shoulder sin rodeos give it to them straight from the shoulder díselo sin rodeos to give sb the cold shoulder hacerle* el vacío a algn to put o set one's shoulder to the wheel arrimar el hombro to rub shoulders with sb codearse con algnMás ejemplos en oraciones
Más ejemplos en oraciones1.2 [Clothing/Indumentaria] hombro (masculine) a jacket with padded shoulders una chaqueta con hombreras
- Occasionally it starts in one region such as the neck and shoulders and spreads over a period of time.
- Sitting at a desk all day puts pressure on your lower back, neck and shoulders.
- The neck, shoulder and wrist should be examined carefully in the patient with elbow pain.
Más ejemplos en oraciones1.3 [Cookery/Cocina] paletilla (feminine), paleta (feminine)
- It is such a pity that their time and our taxes are being wasted on something which has the majority of our citizens shrugging their shoulder.
- At the end they didn't actually leave the stage but just stumbled around shrugging their shoulders looking lost.
- Instead of shrugging his shoulders, he became agitated and a sarcastic torrent of words flew out.
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- All that's needed is a canvas khaki green belt, or even a jacket with patch pockets and very defined shoulders.
- Making alterations to other areas, such as the shoulders, back or lapels will change the intended design of the suit.
- Conventionally sew the garment shoulder and side seams and press the seam allowances open.
- Some areas cook the entire hog, others just the pork shoulder, some make pulled pork.
- From the hams and shoulders he will peel off the outside meat as dog food, but will keep some of the inside meat for his family.
- The blacksmith, having just purchased a shoulder of mutton, is triumphantly waving it in the air.
- 2 (of road) (American English/inglés norteamericano) arcén (masculine), berma (feminine) (Andes) , acotamiento (masculine) (Mexico/México) , banquina (feminine) (River Plate area/Río de la Plata) , hombrillo (masculine) (Venezuela)Más ejemplos en oraciones
- My partner and I had parked on the shoulder of the highway and began to chat.
- Because of the darkness of the night, Dawn nearly missed the black Jaguar parked on the shoulder of the road.
- She made her way all the way across the freeway to the left shoulder.
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Every year the charitable Fundación Príncipe de Asturias makes eight awards in various categories. They are presented by the Príncipe de Asturias, the heir to the Spanish throne, in the Asturian city of Oviedo. The prize includes a monetary reward of 50,000 euros and a sculpture by the Catalan artist Joan Miró. Winners have included: the writers Umberto Eco and Mario Vargas Llosa; the politicians Nelson Mandela and Yasser Arafat; the organization Médecins sans Frontières; the scientist Stephen Hawking; and the golfer Severiano Ballesteros.