- 1 uncountable and countable 1.1 (noise)(unpleasant, disturbing) ruido (masculine)we heard the sound of footstepsoímos (unos) pasoswe were woken by the sound of her crying/of trafficnos despertó su llanto/el ruido del tráficodon't make a sound!¡no hagas ni el menor ruido!there wasn't a sound to be heardno se oía absolutamente nadashe left the stage to the sound of wild applauseabandonó el escenario en medio de un torrente de aplausoshe is very fond of the sound of his own voice sound and furyOraciones de ejemplo
Oraciones de ejemplo1.2 (of music, instrument) we danced all night to the sound of Bill Haley
- Since light travels faster than sound, the thunder is heard after the lightning.
- Bullets travel faster than sound, so I'll never hear the one that gets me, I reassured myself.
- Its Japanese designers believe their plane can travel at twice the speed of sound while reducing supersonic boom to a low rumble.
bailamos toda la noche al son or al compás de la música de Bill HaleyOraciones de ejemplo1.3 (of voice) 1.4 (Linguistics) a vowel sound
- I let out a hideous animal sound as I sank to my knees to finish off this beast.
- The sound reached a crescendo, then trailed off to the south in a quickly fading Doppler echo.
- This sound reached to the edge of the forest and was like a great clamor of metals striking together.
un sonido vocálico
- The sound produced by drums is short; thus, any continuous sound can be produced only by rapid repetition.
- The speaker converts musical sound into vibrations that can be felt.
- The sound is more resonant than I would like it to be, but this is not really a big problem.
- 2 uncountable 2.1 (Physics) at the speed of sounda la velocidad del sonidotheir home is within sound of the cathedral bellsdesde su casa se pueden oír las campanas de la catedral(before noun) the sound barrierla barrera del sonidoa sound waveuna onda sonora2.2 (Audio, Radio, Television) the picture's good, but the sound's lousyla imagen es buena, pero el sonido es malísimoturn the sound up/downsube/baja el volumen(before noun) sound archivesOraciones de ejemplo
Oraciones de ejemplo
- The film was shot without sound, and recorded interviews were added to accompany images of the women at work.
- She did all the scriptwriting, filming, sound, lighting, direction herself.
- Much like the video presentations, these sound mixes are all in good working order.
- The accent at the BBC at the time was very much toward sound rather than television.
- Vision was transmitted on 261.3 metres and sound on 398.9 metres, medium wave.
- The fidelity of sound equipment subsequently improved considerably, but the receivers did not.
- 3 (impression conveyed) [colloquial] (no plural) his questions had a threatening soundsus preguntas sonaban a amenazasI rather like the sound of himparece agradable por lo que dices ( or dicen etc. )I don't like the sound of that at alleso no me huele nada bienby or from the sound of it, everything's going very wellparece que or por lo visto todo marcha muy bienOraciones de ejemplo
Oraciones de ejemplo
- My biggest beef with electric guitar sounds of the rock persuasion is the lack of dynamics.
- Patrons will also be able to enjoy the soothing sounds of jazz, reggae and traditional African music.
- When it comes to the traditional sounds of country music, Johnny Loughrey continues to set the pace.
- Mr Ali has lost a son who, by the sound of it, was going to contribute to the fabric of society, a peace-loving young man who loved his family.
- The recording process for Miles is an easy-going, relaxed one by the sound of it.
- Some of the children were naturally very frightened and the teacher by the sound of it did an amazing job.
- 1 1.1 (give impression) your voice sounds or you sound different on the phonetu voz suena distinta por teléfonoshe sounded relieved/surprisedsonó aliviada/sorprendidatheir names sound foreignsus nombres suenan extranjerosyou sound as if or as though you could do with a restme da la impresión de que no te vendría mal un descansoit sounds as if or as though they're here now(por el ruido) parece que ya están aquíwhen you talk like that you sound just like your fathercuando dices esas cosas es como si estuviera oyendo a tu padrethat sounds like Susan nowesa debe (de) ser Susanit sounded like somebody coughingera un ruido como de alguien tosiendoOraciones de ejemplo1.2 (seem) we'll leave at ten; how does that sound to you?
saldremos a las diez ¿qué te parece?he sounds a nice guypor lo que dices ( or dicen etc. ) parece que es un buen tipo [colloquial]it sounds as if or as though you had a great timeparece que lo pasaste fenomenalyou sound like someone who knows his own mindpareces saber muy bien lo que quieresyou make it sound like a chorehablas de ello como si fuera una tarea pesadasounds like fun! [colloquial]¡qué divertido!it sounds like a good ideame parece muy buena idea
- The woman on the airport intercom sounds lovely and understanding.
- The poets all read in their native language, so we didn't understand anything they were saying, though it still sounded lovely.
- You can track your book's progress around the world, and it all sounds very lovely and whimsical.
- 2 (make noise, resound)(footsteps/bell/alarm)
sonarOraciones de ejemplo
- In my mind I am praying, praying for the next buzzer to sound so I can escape the woman's bitter stare.
- The dhol is a north Indian drum made from goatskin, and anybody who has stood next to one will testify to how loud it sounds when played.
- Just as Jon reached for the handle, the buzzer behind them sounded.
- 1 1.1(trumpet/horn)to sound the retreat
hacer sonartocar (a) retretathe chairman sounded a note of warning in his speech
tocar a retiradaen su discurso, el presidente llamó a la cautelathe results sounded a warning to investorslos resultados alertaron a los inversores1.2 (articulate)(letter/consonant)
pronunciarOraciones de ejemplo
- Sound the phrase Di di di di di, pulling the ee out freely.
- The student should sound out the long /e/ sound.
- Thus we are trying to get him to sound out refrigerator letters, the same way one would train children on phonics.
Verbos con partícula
adjective sounder, soundest
- 1 1.1 (healthy) safe and sound I, Peter Smith, being of sound mind … [formal]Oraciones de ejemplo1.2 (in good condition)
(timber)the business is basically sound
- The true, strong and sound mind is the mind that can embrace equally great things and small.
- Mr Welch said that the pumps appeared to be in sound condition.
- Packaging is needed to ensure that a product is delivered to customers in a sound condition.
en buenas condicionesel negocio es esencialmente sólidoto put the economy back on a sound footingsanear la economía
- 2 2.1 (valid)(reasoning/argument/knowledge)
sólido(advice/decision)a sound case
sensatoun caso irrebatibleOraciones de ejemplo2.2 (reliable) to be sound
- Her advice was freely given and was always based on common sense and sound reasoning.
- He had taken the car for the very sound, very logical reason that he wanted it.
- Our simple submission is the majority in the Court of Appeal got it right for cogent and sound reasons.
onsomethingser competentethe book is very sound on the details of his upbringing enalgo
ser de fiar
en cuanto aalgoel libro está muy documentado en los detalles de su educaciónOraciones de ejemplo
- The men in suits praise him for his sound knowledge of the game and his eye for talent; all the while overlooking his shortcomings.
- But what a hard lesson for the young Newbridge man who had played a very sound game up to this point.
- The works are sound and competent, physically big and large in their sense of the personal too.
- 3 3.1 (deep)(sleep)
profundoOraciones de ejemplo3.2 (hard, thorough) a sound beating
una buena paliza
- Then I could so easily close my eyes to all that is happening around me and my family, roll over and fall into a deep sound sleep.
- Anyway, I woke out of a sound sleep on Sunday morning with an extremely vivid dream.
- The effects are there for all to see: improved skin texture, vitality and sound sleep at night.
adverb sounder, soundest
- sound asleepprofundamente dormidoI'll sleep the sounder for knowing you're homedormiré mejor sabiendo que estás en casaOraciones de ejemplo
- This evening I settled down happy as can be, turned on the TV, and within moments was sound asleep.
- The very first night I was sound asleep and I woke to the sound of my dad laughing.
- Every person in the village was sound asleep.
- 1 (Nautical)(channel/water)
sondarOraciones de ejemplo
- Then he bangs four more times, as if sounding the echoey depths of a hidden chamber.
- The first ship to sound at a greater depth than 5,000 fathoms was the British surveying vessel Penguin in 1895.
- Attempts to sound depth acoustically instead focused on determining the exact distance of a sound source by measuring the time taken for a sound generated aboard a ship to travel to the sea bottom and back.
- 2 (Medicine)(cavity)
sondarOraciones de ejemplo
- The blue flange should be aligned with the IUD arms and set at the distance the uterus was sounded.
- Before sounding the uterus, the provider should already have screened the woman to rule out the possibility of vaginal or cervical infection.
- After successfully sounding the uterus, open the sterile package to reveal the shaft of the inserter.
- 3→ sound out
Verbos con partícula
- 1 (channel)Oraciones de ejemplo
- Captains of foreign ships, and even those under U.S. registry, don't know the topography of the sound like an experienced local.
- As I remember, there was a time that we started on Friday doing endless laps around the Sound.
- They are common on the coast and in north Puget Sound, and are less common in the southern end of the sound.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda