- 1 1.1 (in specified place, position)he stayed in the country for two weeksquedarsestay therese quedó dos semanas en el paíspermaneció dos semanas en el país [formal]stay close to usquédate ahístay! (to dog) he managed to stay aheadno te alejes de nosotrosunemployment is here to staylogró mantenerse a la cabezato stay putel desempleo se ha convertido en un problema permanente1.2 (in specified state) Ver ejemplos: stay still/singlequedarseplease try and stay soberquédate quieto/solterowe stayed friends despite everythingpor favor trata de no emborracharteI couldn't stay awakeseguimos siendo amigos a pesar de todolong may it stay that wayno podía mantenerme despiertoit's forecast to stay wetojalá siga así muchos añospronostican que va a seguir lloviendo
- 2 2.1 (remain, not leave)she didn't stay to the endquedarseI mustn't stay lateno se quedó hasta el finalcan you stay to o for dinner?no debo quedarme hasta tarde2.2 (reside temporarily)¿te puedes quedar a cenar?quedarse(in a hotel etc)I'm staying with friendshospedarsealojarsequedarsewe stayed at the Hiltonme estoy quedando en casa de unos amigosestoy en casa de unos amigoshe's staying with us over Easternos hospedamos or nos alojamos or nos quedamos en el Hiltonmy aunt came to stayva a pasar la Semana Santa con nosotroscan Matthew stay the night?mi tía vino a quedarse unos días2.3 (live)¿Matthew se puede quedar a dormir or a pasar la noche?(Scotland)Oraciones de ejemplo
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Maddie, at the last minute, decided to stay behind and finish some work on deadline.
- The gig was so successful the band decided to stay together, and since then Wards Xpress has released three albums.
- This year they've decided to stay in their village because it just isn't safe to leave their home and head for Baghdad.
- Call your house and tell them you're staying at a friend's house because you don't want to drive home and stay the night with me.
- I usually stayed in the guest room with Terry during those days.
- I'll pay for your round-trip ticket and you can stay in the guest room at my house.
- 1 (survive)Oraciones de ejemplo
- How he manages to stay so calm and hold off his anger for so long is beyond me.
- At least he has managed to stay positive about things, and he has told us he will aim for the next World Cup.
- All the big powers have managed to stay at peace so I suppose it achieved something.
- 2 (suspend)(execution/sentence)something stayed her [literary]→ hand 1 2algo la detuvoOraciones de ejemplo
- Does the English Court have Jurisdiction to stay the Part 20 Proceedings?
- A higher court stayed his acquittal and ordered him detained while the finding at trial was reconsidered.
- He subsequently applied to a judge of the Federal Court for an order staying the immigration inquiry pending the hearing of the judicial review.
- 1 (time) during our stay in MadridI'd like to go for a longer staydurante nuestra estadía en Madrid (Latin America)durante nuestra estancia en Madrid (Spain) (Mexico)after an overnight stay in Parisme gustaría ir a quedarme más tiempoduring her stay in hospitaldespués de hacer noche or después de pernoctar en Parísmientras estuvo en el hospitaldurante su permanencia en el hospital [formal]Oraciones de ejemplo
- It would involve at most an overnight stay in hospital, he explained.
- Sligo also has one of the lowest average lengths of stay in hospital in the country at five days.
- What are your recipes for being a good guest, for weekend or overnight stays?
- 2 (Law)stay of executionsuspensión (feminine) del cumplimiento de la sentenciaOraciones de ejemplo
- I conclude that the trial judge erred in granting a stay of proceedings to each of the defendants.
- In my opinion, the application for a stay of proceedings in the Supreme Court of Victoria should be dismissed.
- The defence cited several cases involving extremely serious charges in which the appellate courts have ordered stays of proceedings because of delay.
- 3 3.1 (Architecture, Constr) 3.2also: stays plural(Clothing, History)Oraciones de ejemplo
- The favourite shaping material of stays was whalebone, cut into thin strips and sewn in a fan pattern to make the torso appear rounder.
- Products made from the animal were oil for lamps and candles whereas the bones were used for stays, corsets and collars.
- She ran as fast as her stays and petticoat would allow to that pond she could see so clearly in her mind.
Verbos con partícula
- to stay away (
- (after meeting, party etc)
- 1.1 (in lowered position)
- 1.1 (remain in position)
- I stayed off work today
- 1.1 (remain in position)
- 1.1 (not come home) Ver ejemplos: to stay out all night
- 1.1 (avoid, keep away from) Ver ejemplos: try to stay out of trouble/harm's way/his way
- 1.1 (not fall or sink)
- 1.1 (remain close to)
- (rope, wire)Oraciones de ejemplo
Oraciones de ejemplo
- A few minutes later I was shinning up the mast to whip a flag halyard to the stays.
- The mast will not come down until something else has broken because as long as all the stays and such are in place, the mast will stay.
- The solid awning was supported by vertical stays.
- Britannia footbridge has been lifted into place and the cable stays are being fitted to support the bridge.
- The cable stays were then stressed to their final length.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en EE. UU.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
Muy popular en India
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
In some parts of Spain, the name given to a weekly open-air flea market where all kinds of items are sold is a rastro. The name El Rastro as such refers to a very big market of this type held in Madrid at weekends.