Traducción de sweep en español:
- 1 (act) (no plural) give it a sweepdale un barrido or una barridaa clean sweep or (US also) a sweepnothing but a clean sweep of all the major prizes would satisfy him
bárrelosolo si barría or arrasaba con todos los premios se iba a quedar contentowe can now make a clean sweep of all our debtsahora podemos quitarnos todas las deudas de encimathe polls pointed to a coast-to-coast sweep by the Presidentlos sondeos pronosticaban un triunfo aplastante del presidente
- 2 2.1 countable (movement) with a sweep of his armcon un amplio movimiento del brazowith a sweep of his scythecon un golpe de la guadañathe broad sweeps of his brush strokesel ancho trazo de sus pinceladas2.2 countable (curve) (of road, river) notice the superb sweep of the train (of dress)fíjese en la estupenda caída de la cola2.3 (range) (no plural)
- 8 countable → sweepstakes
transitive verb past tense & past participle swept
- 1 1.1 (clean)(floor/path)
barrer(chimney)he swept the room clean or out
deshollinarbarrió bien la habitaciónOraciones de ejemplo1.2 (remove)
- She swept out the dirt floor, her broom struck something under the bed.
- Stable boys were bedding the horses down for the night or sweeping the stabling area clean.
- ‘We can cram in loads of people and it doesn't matter if anything gets dropped, as it can be swept out the next morning,’ says Skelton.
barrer(mines)he swept the crumbs off the table
barrerlimpió la mesa de migashe swept his hair back
quitó las migas de la mesase echó el pelo hacia atrásshe swept the leaves into a pile in the cornerbarrió la terraza ( or el patio etc. ) y amontonó las hojas en el rincónhe swept the coins into a boxcon la mano reunió las monedas y las deslizó en una cajato sweep something under the rug or (British) carpetcorrer un velo sobre algoOraciones de ejemplo
- Before beginning the sanding procedure carefully sweep all dirt, dust and other debris from the floor.
- She didn't have a beautiful garden, but she kept the place neat and tidy, even to the point where she swept the bare dirt in her yard.
- I said that I had a broom but I didn't have a pan to sweep the dirt into.
- 2 (touch lightly, brush)(surface)her coat swept the ground as she walked
rozaral andar su abrigo rozaba el sueloher hand swept the stringspasó la mano por las cuerdasOraciones de ejemplo
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Her long, curling dark hair had been swept upwards into the most fashionable style as of late, pinned into place by delicate silver gems that shone in her hair.
- She picked up her brush and quickly swept her long hair into a fashionable ponytail and then got up and walked over to her closet, which was brimming with clothes.
- Tilting her face upwards, she swept her long hair back, her hand skimming the stitches along her hairline.
- Dressed in an oriental-style black and white top and designer jeans, Georgina held her hand up to her face as the car swept past the waiting crowds.
- As the fire swept over the car the fuel tank began to boil and a six metre jet of flames spurted out of the back of the car.
- We walked down the tar road that was shimmering in the heat, dodging the occasional car sweeping past, until we came to the bridge.
- 3 3.1 (pass over, across) severe storms swept the coastgrandes tormentas azotaron or barrieron la costathe waves of protest that were sweeping the statelas olas de protesta que recorrían el estadodismay swept the meeting when the news brokela noticia causó consternación entre los reunidosthe epidemic is sweeping the countryla epidemia se extiende como un reguero de pólvora por el país3.2 (remove by force) the avalanche swept them to their deathsel alud los arrastró consigo y perdieron la vidawe were being swept out to sea by the tidela marea nos arrastraba mar adentroshe succeeded in sweeping us along with her enthusiasmconsiguió arrastrarnos con su entusiasmohe advanced across Italy sweeping all before himcruzaba Italia arrasando (con) todo a su pasoOraciones de ejemplo
- I was swept along with the crowd and found myself genuinely delighted when Fulham went ahead.
- She did not wish to go to the top, for she knew what would take place and had no desire to see it, but her own feelings were quelled and she was docilely swept along with the crowd.
- The riotous crowd around him swept him along through arcane underground tunnels to a vaulted hall.
- 4 4.1 (scan) he swept the horizon with his telescoperecorría or escudriñaba el horizonte con su telescopio4.2 (search)Oraciones de ejemplo
Oraciones de ejemplo
- The classic example has been the Toronto Blessing, which came to Slovakia via the UK, and swept through many churches affecting thousands of believers.
- On the morning of August 16, hundreds of soldiers surrounded and swept through areas of the northern town of Mannar and suburbs.
- Fifty years ago, an epidemic swept across this nation affecting millions of people and lasting for many years.
- Then I take off at a jog across the tilled field, carefully avoiding the search tower spotlights which sweep the area under the beady eye of the armed guards.
- Only seconds after removing the vent cover and ducking inside, nearly a dozen powerful beams of light swept the area in search of the intruder.
- Lonely eyes swept the room, searching for open arms or warm eyes.
intransitive verb past tense & past participle swept
- 1 (+ adverb complement) 1.1 (move rapidly) the car swept by or past without stoppingel coche pasó rápidamente sin detenersehe swept to power on a wave of popularityuna ola de popularidad lo llevó al poder1.2 (move proudly) she swept into the roomentró majestuosamente en la habitaciónhe swept past as if I wasn't therepasó por mi lado con la cabeza en alto, como si yo no existiera
- 2 (+ adverb complement) 2.1 (spread)extendersefire swept through the hotelel fuego se propagó or se extendió por todo el hotelpanic swept through the rankscundió el pánico en las filas2.2 (extend) the path sweeps down to the roadel sendero baja describiendo una curva hasta la carreterathe river sweeps over the plain to the seael río recorre la llanura hasta llegar al mar2.3 (survey) his gaze swept over their facesrecorrió sus rostros con la mirada
Verbos con partícula
- 1 (carry away)
- 1verb + adverb (clear up) 2verb + object + adverb, verb + adverb + object 2.1 (clear up)
hacer a un lado
hacer a un lado
(dust/leaves)2.2 (gather up)
barrer y recoger
barrer y recoger
(belongings/bags)he swept her up in his arms
la levantó en brazosshe wears her hair swept up in a bun
lleva el pelo recogido en un moño
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda