Translation of be in Arabic:
intransitive verb/فعل غير متعد present participle/اسم الفاعل being past tense (1st & 3rd pers sing) was or (other subjects) were past participle/اسم المفعول been
- 1 (in statements) they are good studentsهُمْ طُلاّبٌ جَيِّدونَit's meهذا أناit's themإنَّهُمْ هُناI preferred it as it wasأُفَضِّلُها بالشَكْلِ الّذي كانَتْ عَلَيْهِ
- 2 (stating probability) if he's coming, I won't goإذا كانَ قادِماً، فَلَنْ أَذْهَبَif Henry were here, everything would be all rightلو كانَ هِنْري هُنا، لَكانَ كُلُّ شَيْءٍ على ما يُرامُif I were you, I'd see a doctorلو كُنْتُ مَكانَكَ، لَزُرْتُ طَبيباًhad it not been for Frank, I'd have missed the trainلَوْلا فْرانْك، لَتَأَخَّرْتُ عن القِطارِ
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Arabic
- Arabic-English and English-Arabic dictionary
- 330,000 words, phrases, & translations, including idioms
- covers Modern Standard Arabic and British & American English
- search for Arabic words using vowelled and unvowelled forms
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Arabic words and sentences
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com