- 1(diffident) schüchterndon't be shysei nicht [so] schüchtern!feel shy about doing somethingsich genieren, etwas zu tunfeel shy in somebody's presence/with somebodysich in jemandes Gegenwart/bei jemandem gehemmt fühlenbe shy of strangerseine Scheu vor Fremden habenbe shy of doing somethingHemmungen haben, etwas zu tun→ bite 1 , → fight 1 1
- scheuen (at vor) + Dat.
- schmeißen [colloquial] (at nach)
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries German
- German-English and English-German dictionary
- more than 840,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers German* and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to German words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts**
**Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com