When used as a straightforward conjunction, and is translated by e : to shout and sing = gridare e cantare; Tom and Linda = Tom e Linda; my friend and colleague = il mio amico e collega. - When and joins two or more nouns, definite articles, possessive adjectives or quantifiers are not repeated in English, but they are in Italian: the books and exercise books = i libri e i quaderni; her father and mother = suo padre e sua madre; some apples and pears = delle mele e delle pere. - And is sometimes used between two verbs in English to mean in order to ( wait and see, go and ask, try and rest etc.); to translate these expressions, look under the appropriate verb entry ( → wait, → go, → try etc.). Note that the two verb forms involved are the same tense in English, whereas in Italian the second one is always in the infinitive: I'll try and come as soon as possible = cercherò di venire appena possibile. - For and used in telling the time and saying numbers, see the lexical notes and . For more examples and other uses, see the entry below.
- 2 (in numbers)two hundred and sixty-twoduecentosessantaduethree and three-quarterstre e tre quartifive and twenty [archaic]o [literary]
- 3 (with repetition)more and more interesting faster and faster it got worse and worseandò di male in peggio o sempre peggioI waited and waited to talk on and oncontinuare a parlarefor days and daysper giorni e giorniwe laughed and laughed!ridemmo a crepapelle!there are friends and friendsci sono amici e amici
- 4 (for emphasis)it's lovely and warmfa proprio un bel calducciocome nice and earlyvieni prestoand he didn't even say thank youe non disse nemmeno grazie
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com