As it is composed of an and other, another can only precede or stand for countable nouns in the singular (if plural or uncountable nouns occur, other is used instead). - When another is used as a determiner it is translated by un altro or un'altra according to the gender of the noun that follows: another ticket = un altro biglietto; another cup = un'altra tazza. However, when another means an additional, ancora can also be used: another cup of tea? = un'altra tazza di tè or ancora una tazza di tè? another week and it will be Christmas! = ancora una settimana e sarà Natale! For more examples and particular usages, see → another 1 below. - When another is used as a pronoun it is translated by un altro or un'altra according to the gender of the noun it refers to: that cake was delicious, can I have another? = quel pasticcino era squisito, posso prenderne un altro? I see you like those peaches - have another = vedo che quelle pesche ti piacciono - prendine un'altra. For more examples and particular usages, see → another 2 below.
- 1 (an additional) would you like another drink?they want to have another childvorresti qualcos'altro da bere?we have received yet another lettervogliono avere un altro figliothat will cost you another £5abbiamo ricevuto ancora un'altra letterathey stayed another three hours without another wordquesto vi costerà cinque sterline in piùin another five weekssenza dire altroit was another ten years before they met againfra altre cinque settimaneand another thing,…passarono altri dieci anni prima che si incontrassero di nuovonot another programme about seals!e un'altra cosa,…basta programmi sulle foche!
- 2 (a different) another timehe has another job, another girlfriend nowun'altra voltacan I have another one?adesso fa un altro lavoro, ha un'altra ragazzathere's another way of doing itposso averne un altro?to put it another way…c'è un altro modo di farlothat's quite another matterper dirla in altri termini…è tutt'altra faccenda
- can I have another?he loved anotherposso averne un altro?another of the witnesses said that …amava un'altraone after another she tried on one hat after anotherun altro dei testimoni ha detto che …of one kind or anothersi provò un cappello dopo l'altrofor one reason or another in one way or another ignorance is one thing, vulgarity is quite anotherdi qualche tipoimagining things is one thing, creating them is quite anotherl'ignoranza è una cosa, la volgarità è ben altroun conto è ideare le cose, un conto è realizzarle
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Grammar and usage help for Italian:
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 14: LET2
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 10: HER
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 11: HIS
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 12: IN
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com