Translation of answer in Italian:
- 1 (reply)risposta (feminine) (to a)to get, give an answer an answer in writinguna risposta scritta o per iscrittothere's no answer in answer to somethingin risposta a qualcosashe has all the answerssa tutto[pejorative]she has an answer for everything her only answer was to laugh I won't take no for an answer!
crede di sapere tuttonon accetto rifiuti!there's no answer to that!che si può mai rispondere?Italy's answer to Marilyn Monroe [humorous]
- 2 (solution)(to difficulty, puzzle) soluzione (feminine) (to di)(School, University)risposta (feminine) (to a)the right, wrong answerla risposta giusta, sbagliatathere is no easy answer (to the problem)non è (un problema) di facile soluzioneit's the answer to all our problemsè la soluzione o la risposta a tutti i nostri problemihe doesn't pretend to know all the answersnon pretende di avere una soluzione a tutto
- 3 (to criticism)replica (feminine) (to a)answer to a charge (Law)replica a un'accusa
- 1 (reply to)rispondere a (question, invitation, letter, person)to answer that … to answer the doorandare ad aprire (la porta)to answer the telephone to answer the callrispondere all'appello (also figurative)she answered him with a smile to answer violence with violence our prayers have been answered
- 2 (Law) (respond)rispondere, replicare a (criticism, accusation, allegation)to answer a chargereplicare a un'accusahe was in court to answer charges of theft there was no case to answernon c'erano accuse fondate
- 3 (meet)rispondere a (need, demand)we saw nobody answering that description
- 1 (respond) it's not answering (British English) (Telecommunications)non rispondeto answer to the name of Fionarispondere al nome di Fiona
- 2 (correspond)to answer torispondere, corrispondere a (description)
- 1 answer back 2 answer [somebody] back (British English) don't dare answer (me) back!
- answer for [something] (account for)
non osare rispondermi!
rispondere di (action, behaviour)they have a lot to answer for!
devono rispondere di molte cose!to answer for somebody's honesty
rispondere dell'onestà di qualcuno
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com