Translation of answer in Italian:
- 1 (reply)risposta (feminine) (to a)to get, give an answer an answer in writinguna risposta scritta o per iscrittothere's no answernon risponde nessunoin answer to somethingin risposta a qualcosashe has all the answerssa tutto[pejorative]she has an answer for everything her only answer was to laugh I won't take no for an answer! there's no answer to that!
crede di sapere tuttoche si può mai rispondere?Italy's answer to Marilyn Monroe [humorous]
- 2 (solution)(to difficulty, puzzle) soluzione (feminine) (to di)(School, University)risposta (feminine) (to a)the right, wrong answerla risposta giusta, sbagliatathere is no easy answer (to the problem)non è (un problema) di facile soluzioneit's the answer to all our problemsè la soluzione o la risposta a tutti i nostri problemihe doesn't pretend to know all the answersnon pretende di avere una soluzione a tutto
- 3 (to criticism)replica (feminine) (to a)answer to a charge (Law)replica a un'accusa
- 1 (reply to)rispondere a (question, invitation, letter, person)to answer that … to answer the doorandare ad aprire (la porta)to answer the telephone to answer the callrispondere all'appello (also figurative)she answered him with a smile to answer violence with violence our prayers have been answered
- 2 (Law) (respond)rispondere, replicare a (criticism, accusation, allegation)to answer a chargereplicare a un'accusahe was in court to answer charges of theft there was no case to answernon c'erano accuse fondate
- 3 (meet)rispondere a (need, demand)we saw nobody answering that description
- 1 (respond) it's not answering (British English) (Telecommunications)non rispondeto answer to the name of Fionarispondere al nome di Fiona
- 2 (correspond)to answer torispondere, corrispondere a (description)
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com