Translation of backwards in Italian:
- 1 (in a reverse direction)(walk, crawl, fall)
all'indietro(lean, step)to face backwards
indietro(person)facing backwards (in train) to be facing backwards
voltare la schiena, essere di spalleessere girato indietro, di schienato move backwards to travel backwards and forwardsfare la spola (between tra)to walk backwards and forwardscamminare avanti e indietroto swing backwards and forwards to bend over backwards for somebody, to dofarsi in quattro per qualcuno, per fare
- 3 (the wrong way round)to put something on backwardsmettere qualcosa a rovescio, col davanti dietroto get something backwards [figurative]capire qualcosa a rovescio (message, instructions)you've got it all backwards!
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com