Translation of before in Italian:
- 1 (earlier than) the day before yesterday the day before the interview I was there the week before lastero là due settimane fathey hadn't met since before the war it should have been done before now phone if you need me before thentelefonami se hai bisogno di me primasix weeks before then she became a doctor, like her mother before her before long it will be winter before long, he was speaking Spanish fluentlydopo poco tempo parlava spagnolo correntementenot before time!non è ancora ora!it was long before your time
- 3 (in importance, priority)prima di, davanti ato put quality before quantity for him, work comes before everything else should we place our needs before theirs?dovremmo anteporre le nostre necessità alle loro?ladies before gentlemen
- 6 (in front of)davanti ashe appeared before themè comparsa davanti a lorothe desert stretched out before themil deserto si stendeva innanzi a lorobefore our very eyes they fled before the invadersono fuggiti dinnanzi all'invasore
- 7 (in the presence of)davanti a, dinanzi ahe was brought before the king to appear before a court to put proposals before a committee to bring a bill before parliamentportare una proposta di legge in parlamento
- (at an earlier time) as before before and after he had been there two months before have you been to India before? I've never been there before haven't we met before?non ci siamo già incontrati (prima)?I've never seen him before in my life it's never happened beforenon era mai successo prima d'oralong before
- 1 (in time)before I go, I would like to say that …prima di andare, vorrei dire che …before he goes, I must remind him that …prima che vada, devo ricordargli che …it was some time before she was able to walk again before I had time to realize what was happening, he…prima che avessi il tempo di accorgermi di quello che stava succedendo, lui…it will be years before I earn that much money!ci vorranno anni prima che io guadagni tutto quel denaro!oh, before I forget, did you remember to post that letter?
- 2 (rather than) he would die before betraying that secretpreferirebbe morire piuttosto che rivelare quel segreto
- 3 (otherwise, or else)get out of here before I call the police!uscite di qui prima che chiami la polizia!
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com