Translation of before in Italian:
- 1 (earlier than) the day before yesterday the day before the interview I was there the week before lastthey hadn't met since before the war it should have been done before now phone if you need me before thenero là due settimane fasix weeks before then she became a doctor, like her mother before her before long it will be winter before long, he was speaking Spanish fluentlytelefonami se hai bisogno di me primanot before time! it was long before your timedopo poco tempo parlava spagnolo correntemente
- 3 (in importance, priority)to put quality before quantity for him, work comes before everything else should we place our needs before theirs?prima di, davanti aladies before gentlemendovremmo anteporre le nostre necessità alle loro?
- 6 (in front of)she appeared before themdavanti athe desert stretched out before themè comparsa davanti a lorobefore our very eyes they fled before the invaderil deserto si stendeva innanzi a lorosono fuggiti dinnanzi all'invasore
- 7 (in the presence of)he was brought before the king to appear before a court to put proposals before a committee to bring a bill before parliamentdavanti a, dinanzi aportare una proposta di legge in parlamento
- 1 (in time) See examples:before I go, I would like to say that …before he goes, I must remind him that …prima di andare, vorrei dire che …it was some time before she was able to walk again before I had time to realize what was happening, he…prima che vada, devo ricordargli che …it will be years before I earn that much money!prima che avessi il tempo di accorgermi di quello che stava succedendo, lui…oh, before I forget, did you remember to post that letter?ci vorranno anni prima che io guadagni tutto quel denaro!
- 2 (rather than) he would die before betraying that secretpreferirebbe morire piuttosto che rivelare quel segreto
- 3 (otherwise, or else) See examples:get out of here before I call the police!uscite di qui prima che chiami la polizia!
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Grammar and usage help for Italian:
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 5: BEFORE
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 10: HER
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 11: HIS
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 12: IN
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com