Translation of begin in Italian:
transitive verb forma in -ing -nn- pass. began p.pass. begun
- 1 (start)cominciare, iniziare (journey, list, meeting, job, game, meal) (with con)iniziare (adventure)iniziare ad andare a (school)to begin to docominciare a fareit's beginning to rainsta iniziando a piovereto begin doingcominciare a fareI began the letter (with) “Dear Sir”ho incominciato la lettera con “Egregio Signore”“well…,” she began“allora,…” cominciòI begin work next weekcomincio a lavorare la prossima settimanathe builders begin work on Tuesdaygli operai inizieranno i lavori martedìthey began laughing o to laugh againricominciarono a ridere
- 3 (start out)iniziare (career) (as come)I began life as a farmer's sonsono (nato) figlio di contadiniwe began married life in Scotlandappena sposati vivevamo in Scoziathis novel began life as a short story
- 4 (have slightest success)I can't begin to describe itnon sono in grado di descriverloI couldn't begin to imagine how he feltnon riuscivo proprio a immaginare come si sentisse
intransitive verb forma in -ing -nn- pass. began p.pass. begun
- 1 (commence) (custom, meeting, play, problem, storm, term) let's begincominciamoto begin with somethingcominciare o iniziare con qualcosato begin by doingcominciare facendoa name beginning with Cun nome che inizia con la C o per Cthe week beginning the 25thla settimana del 25to begin in 1999, in Maycominciare nel 1999, a maggioyour problems have only just begun! to begin well, badlyiniziare bene, maleto begin again after the war began before the lecture beginsprima che inizi la conferenza
- 2 (have its starting point) (river) the road begins in Yorkla strada parte da o inizia a Yorkwhere does the national park begin?dove inizia il parco nazionale?
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com