Translation of behind in Italian:
When used as a preposition to talk about the physical position of something, behind is translated by dietro (a) : behind the house = dietro la/dietro alla casa. - Behind is sometimes used in verb combinations ( fall behind , lag behind etc.): for translations, consult the appropriate verb entry ( → fall , → lag1 etc.).
- 1 (at rear of) (physically)(person, vehicle, object)the mountains behind the townbehind my backle montagne dietro la città[figurative]dietro la schienaalle mie spalle
- 3 [figurative] (concealed) See examples:behind the smilethe reality behind the façadedietro il sorrisothe real story behind the newsla realtà dietro alla facciatala vera storia sotto o dietro la notizia
- 5 [figurative] (motivating) See examples:the reasons behind his declarationwhat is behind his actions?le ragioni (che stanno) dietro alla sua dichiarazionewho is behind this proposal?cosa c'è dietro alle sue azioni?chi c'è dietro questa proposta?
- 6 [figurative] (supporting) See examples:to be (solidly) behind somebodyhe has no family behind him the woman behind the manappoggiare (fermamente) qualcuno= donna che, stando dietro le quinte, influenza e manovra l'agire del proprio compagno
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Grammar and usage help for Italian:
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 10: HER
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 11: HIS
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 12: IN
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 13: IT
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com