Translation of behind in Italian:
When used as a preposition to talk about the physical position of something, behind is translated by dietro (a) : behind the house = dietro la/dietro alla casa. - Behind is sometimes used in verb combinations ( fall behind , lag behind etc.): for translations, consult the appropriate verb entry ( → fall , → lag1 etc.).
- 1 (at rear of) (physically)dietro (a) (person, vehicle, object)the mountains behind the townle montagne dietro la cittàbehind my backdietro la schiena[figurative]alle mie spalle
- 3 [figurative] (concealed)behind the smiledietro il sorrisothe reality behind the façadela realtà dietro alla facciatathe real story behind the newsla vera storia sotto o dietro la notizia
- 5 [figurative] (motivating)the reasons behind his declarationle ragioni (che stanno) dietro alla sua dichiarazionewhat is behind his actions?cosa c'è dietro alle sue azioni?who is behind this proposal?chi c'è dietro questa proposta?
- 6 [figurative] (supporting)to be (solidly) behind somebodyappoggiare (fermamente) qualcunohe has no family behind him the woman behind the man= donna che, stando dietro le quinte, influenza e manovra l'agire del proprio compagno
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com