Translation of believe in Italian:
- 1 (accept as true)credere a (evidence, statement, fact, person)believe (you) me!credimi!believe it or notche tu ci creda o nowould you believe it?ci credereste?I'll believe it when I see itci crederò quando lo vedròit has to be seen to be believed I can't believe (that) he did thatnon posso credere che lo abbia fattoI can believe that of her!di lei lo posso (ben) credere!don't you believe it!non credeteci!I don't believe you!non ti credo!I can well believe itlo credo bene o non mi sorprendeI don't believe a word of it!non credo a una parola!if he's to be believedstando a quanto diceI'll believe you, thousands wouldn'tti credo, anche se è molto stranoI can't believe my luck!non posso crederci!she could hardly o scarcely believe her eyesquasi non credeva ai suoi occhi
- 2 (think, be of the opinion) I believe (that) she is right o I believe her to be rightcredo o penso che abbia ragioneMr Smith, I believe?il signor Smith, suppongoit is believed that …si crede o ritiene che …he is believed to be deadlo si crede mortoshe is believed to be a spy to believe something to be true, falsecredere che qualcosa sia vero, falsoto have reason to believe that … I have every reason to believe thatho tutte le ragioni per credereto let somebody believe (that)lasciare credere a qualcuno cheto lead somebody to believe (that)fare credere a qualcuno cheto give somebody to believe (that)dare a intendere a qualcuno cheI believe so I believe not
- 1 (have confidence, trust)to believe incredere in (discipline, exercise etc.)credere a (promises)to believe in somebodycredere in qualcuno o avere fiducia in qualcunoto believe in doingcredere che sia utile o che faccia bene fareI believe in taking a cold shower every morningcredo che faccia bene fare una doccia fredda tutte le mattineto fight for what one believes inlottare per ciò in cui si credeyou have to believe in what you dodevi credere in ciò che fai
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com