When used as a preposition meaning under , beneath is translated by sotto (a) : I took shelter beneath an oak = mi rifugiai sotto una quercia; beneath his feet = sotto ai suoi piedi. - When used as an adverb, beneath is translated by sotto : the trees beneath = gli alberi sotto. - Note that sotto is the Italian translation of beneath , below and under . - For particular and figurative usages, see the entry below.
- 1 (under) beneath the tablesotto il tavolothe valley, river beneath them, you etc.la valle, il fiume sotto di loro, voi ecc.he hid his disappointment beneath a polite smilemascherò il suo disappunto con un sorriso garbatobeneath the calm exterior he…dietro il suo aspetto calmo…
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com