Translation of between in Italian:
When between is used as a preposition expressing physical location ( between the lines), time ( between 8 am and 11 am), position in a range ( between 30 and 40 kilometres), relationship ( link between, difference between), it is translated by tra or its variant form fra Remember that tra and fra are the Italian translations of both between and among(st) - For particular usages, see the entry below.
- 1 (in space) there is a wall between the two gardensc'è un muro tra i due giardinithere are no stops between this station and Milannon ci sono fermate fra questa stazione e Milano
- 3 (on a scale or range) it costs between £10 and £20costa tra le 10 e le 20 sterlineit's between 50 and 60 kilometres awayè a 50 o 60 chilometri da qui
- 4 (to and from) flights between London and Amsterdami voli tra Londra e Amsterdamthe train that goes between London and Brightonil treno che va da Londra a Brighton
- 5 (indicating connection or relationship) the link between smoking and cancer what's the difference between the two? you must settle it between yourselves nothing now stands between us and success we mustn't allow this to come between usnon dobbiamo permettere che questo venga a mettersi tra noiit's something between a novel and an autobiographyè una via di mezzo fra il romanzo e l'autobiografia
- 6 (indicating sharing, division) the estate was divided between themla proprietà fu divisa tra lorothey drank the whole bottle between (the two of) themsi sono bevuti tutta la bottiglia in duethey had only one suitcase between (the three of) themavevano solo una valigia in trebetween ourselves, between you and me (and the gatepost)
- 7 (together, in combination) the couples have seventeen children between themle coppie hanno diciassette bambini in tuttobetween them, they collected £200tra loro hanno raccolto 200 sterlinethey wrote the article between them(two people)
scrissero l'articolo a due mani(more than two)between (the two of) us, we earn £30,000 a year
scrissero l'articolo in collaborazionein due guadagniamo 30.000 sterline all'annobetween housework, minding the children and studying, I never have any time to myselftra i lavori di casa, i bambini e lo studio, non ho più tempo per me
adverb in between
- 1 (in space)in mezzo, tra i due, fra i duethe two main roads and the streets (in) betweenle due strade principali e le vie tra esseneither red nor orange but somewhere (in) betweenné rosso né arancione ma una via di mezzo
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com