Translation of beyond in Italian:
Beyond is often used with a noun to produce expressions like beyond doubt, beyond a joke, beyond the grasp of, beyond the bounds of etc. For translations of these and similar expressions where beyond means outside the range of, consult the appropriate noun entry ( → doubt, → joke, → grasp, → bound2 1 etc.). See also → beyond 1 3below.
- 1 (on the far side of)(border, city limits, region, mountain range)beyond the city walls (but close)(covering greater distance)fuori le murajust beyond the toweroltre le mura della cittàthe countries beyond the Atlanticappena dopo la torrei paesi al di là dell'Atlantico
- 3 (outside the range of) See examples:beyond one's meansbeyond one's resources, strengthsuperiore ai propri mezzibeyond all hope, expectation beyond one's controlsuperiore alle proprie risorse, forzedriven beyond endurance he is beyond helpfuori dal proprio controlloto be wise beyond one's yearsnon si può più fare niente per luiessere molto maturo per la propria età
- 4 (further than) to look beyond somethingthe world must look beyond the Gulf crisisvedere al di là di qualcosato move beyond somethingil mondo deve guardare più in là della crisi del Golfoto go o get beyond somethingpassare oltre qualcosait goes beyond (being) a joke it won't go beyond these four walls [figurative]andare oltre qualcosaquesto resterà tra noi
- 5 (too much for, above) See examples:to be beyond somebody's ability o competence it's beyond my comprehension! to be beyond somebody(activity, task, subject)it's beyond me!superare le capacità o possibilità di qualcunowhy they care is beyond menon ci arrivo (a capirlo)!it's beyond me how she manages it's not beyond him to make the dinner! [ironic]non riesco a capire perché si preoccupinoè ancora in grado di preparare la cena!
- 1 (expressing location: further on) See examples:in the room beyondbeyond there was a gardennella stanza accanto, di làthe canal and the trees beyondoltre c'era un giardinoan island in the bay beyondil canale e più oltre gli alberias far as London and beyondun'isola nell'altra baia
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Grammar and usage help for Italian:
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 10: HER
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 11: HIS
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 12: IN
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 13: IT
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com