Translation of big in Italian:
- 3 (in age) his big brotherthe big boysil suo fratello grandeyou're a big girli (ragazzi) grandiyou're big enough to know that …sei una signorinasei grande abbastanza per sapere che …
- 5 (important)(problem, change)(question, decision)(moment, event)it makes a big differencethe extra rooms make a big differencefa una grande differenzayou're making a big mistakeavere delle stanze in più fa una grande differenzaI think we're on to something big [informal]stai facendo un grosso errorethis may be the start of something bigpenso che stiamo per scoprire qualcosa di grossoquesto può essere l'inizio di qualcosa di importante
- 6 (emphatic) See examples:you big baby!big bully!sei proprio un bambino, un bambinone!to be big in the music business [informal]brutto prepotente!to be in big troubleessere un pezzo grosso nel mondo della musicahe gave me a big smileessere nei guai grossithe big momentmi ha fatto un gran sorrisoa big thank you to… to do something in a big wayil grande momentoto do things in a big way he fell for her in a big wayfare qualcosa in modo grandioso, in grande
- 7 (American English) [informal] (enthusiastic) See examples:to be big onessere fanatico di(activity)
- 8 (generous)(person)to have a big heartthat's big of you! [ironic]avere un gran cuoretante grazie!
to be o go over big
- [informal]in in
to have a big head
to have a big mouth
why can't you keep your big mouth shut?
- perché non puoi tenere chiusa quella boccaccia?
to have big ideas, think big
- [informal]avere idee grandiose, pensare in grande
what's the big idea?
- cosa succede? cosa ti prende?
to look big
- (American English) [pejorative]darsi importanza
to make it big
- [informal]avere grande successo
to talk big
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Grammar and usage help for Italian:
- Italian Grammar Notes for Italian speakers translating into English 17: GRANDE
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 10: HER
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 11: HIS
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 12: IN
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com