Translation of bless in Italian:
transitive verb pass., p.pass. blessed [archaic] blest
- 2 [informal] (affectionately) See examples:bless her o bless her heart!bless you! (after sneeze)è un angelo! Dio gliene renda merito!
- 3 [archaic] [informal] (in surprise) See examples:bless me! o bless my soul! o well I'm blessed!Dio mio!
- 4 (favour) See examples:to be blessed withwe were never blessed with childrengodere di o avere il dono di(health, luck, skill, intelligence, beauty)to be blessed with six childrenpurtroppo non abbiamo potuto avere figliessere stati benedetti dall'arrivo di sei figli
reflexive verb pass., p.pass. blessed [archaic] blest
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Grammar and usage help for Italian:
- Italian Grammar Notes for Italian speakers translating into English 7: CHE2
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 10: HER
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 11: HIS
- Italian Grammar Notes for English speakers translating into Italian 12: IN
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com